SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-11-05, 03:01 PM   #11
Halonic

I get this on mine (naked Y-model curvy)

about once a month, always when I least need it (ie always engine breaking, generally approaching something at speed)

I have found that you get a warning, one sputter on the downshift. I have a sneaking suspicion its something to do with fueling and the idle rate as it only occurs on a closed throttle after the bike has had some "abuse".

I have found that getting the throttle open again, even a bit, prevents it from actually stalling.

So its either airflow, fuelling, or not sparking ( I would expect unburnt fuel with that last one and there isnt any soo....)

I was hoping a freer flowing airfilter and a new end can may improve things but havent the cash to do it.

Aside from that, everything else is clean / doing what its supposed to do

BTW happens a lot less using Texaco, Shell or Esso High RON fuel (if ever) but more regularly on BP High RON and normal RON crap
Old 10-11-05, 07:40 AM   #12
MavUK

OK checked last night and the fuel lines seem to be fine (But will check again at the weekend when there is more light)

As for the water 0 I don't think that's it this time as it doesn't stand in rain any more. The shop tested the drain pipe and said it flows freely, they alos said they tested the filler cap and it also flowed freely, explaining the rust on the inside of the filler cap (I suppose I should have noticed this earlier )

Anyway, just some more info to see if it sheds any more light on the issue...

Not done the whole stopping thing again, but... When riding at 100kmph for 30kms or so if I pull on the throttle it's very hesitant, then seems to sort itself out (in a sec or so) and pulls normally. Would this just be carb icing? I've had that in the past and it normally causes it to be a pig when slowing down for traffic lights and I've not had this yet this autumn.

TIA again folks,

Stu
Old 10-11-05, 08:23 AM   #13
mysteryjimbo

Sounds like carb icing to me.

I used to get on the SV after doing a similar distance.
Old 10-11-05, 08:53 AM   #14
Captain Nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavUK
Sorry forgot to metion that - nothing else 'seemed' strange. The taco, strangely enough kept reading. I did a chack after to see how long it takes to return to 0 after I let go of the throttle in neutral and I think when the engine died the taco dropped in line with the engine speed, not with the as though it was suddenly getting no input.

I'll give the side stand a check at lunch and post back on it - but I think it's secure.

Stu
If your tacho was still showing revs, then I think we can discount ignition problems - and the sidestand switch. That leaves fuelling as the main suspect. Check not only fuel lines, but also the vacuum line to the fuel
supply 'switch'
not neccesarily, if the bike is moving the tacho will still show revs even if the engine has stopped, because the engine is stilll spinning as its still connected to the gearbox, just cos the ignition dies this wont stop the tacho giving a reaading
Old 10-11-05, 09:23 AM   #15
Red ones
Mega Poster

Wasn't raining at the time was it?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 09:46 AM   #16
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
Wasn't raining at the time was it?
Thankfully not

Stu