SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-06-08, 01:13 PM   #11
stewie

Default Re: So how hard of a job is driving a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Disagree that this job has any more responsibility than any other. When did you last hear of a petrol tanker wagon spontaneously exploding? Anyone who drives anything is driving a potentially lethal weapon.
Any vehicle carrying flamable material can spontaneously explode if the conditions are right, did you know instance that liquids can create a spark when in contact with other materials, so if you are loading certain materials you need to flood a tanker with nitrogen as an ignition suppressant, if the public had any idea what is being carried on the roads they would have more respret for some of these drivers.
Old 16-06-08, 01:15 PM   #12
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Any vehicle carrying flamable material can spontaneously explode if the conditions are right, did you know instance that liquids can create a spark when in contact with other materials, so if you are loading certain materials you need to flood a tanker with nitrogen as an ignition suppressant, if the public had any idea what is being carried on the roads they would have more respret for some of these drivers.
but how often does it happen? ......never.

40k for sitting down driving all day, i think im in the wrong job
Old 16-06-08, 01:19 PM   #13
600+

Quote:
Well Im a trucker and used to drive tankers,Im also an ex shop steward with the T&G, its simple really, the average wage for a skilled person in this country is I beleive 29k for a 40 hour week, so if you are working up to 60 hrs a week wouldnt you think you should get paid a bit more ? up until two years ago I was working up to 75 hrs a week, every week, week in week out since 1986. The reason we worked all these hours was cos the basic was so poor, so basically we were working ourselves to death, then the goverment and the T.U.C. decided to accept the 'working time drective' meaning by law I couldnt work more than an average of 48 hrs a week over over a 26 week reference period, all of a sudden guys started to miss mortgage payments and many lost the homes, I dont have a pension anymore, and when we asked for support off the great british public, we got none, zero, oh its great when truckers lead fuel protest convoys, but pay us a decent wage for the hours we still work ? nah sorry mate.
Quote:
Although your belly is not big enough to call yourself a tracker I will take your word for it LOL

Don't get me wrong here! I am not saying truckers shouldn't get paid what they are asking for! I was just wondering if there is a certain aspect of the job that makes it dangerous or difficult out of the ordinary.

So now the maths! on a £41k salary per year it comes down to £16.11 per hour on a 48 hr week

I think it's time for me to re-evaluate my situation
Old 16-06-08, 01:20 PM   #14
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
but how often does it happen? ......never.

40k for sitting down driving all day, i think im in the wrong job
Well a french tanker exploded some years and crashed into a campsite, dozens were killed, and tbh most truckers myself included are nowhere near to earning that sort of money, but if someone offered it to me or you, what would you do ? you see the crux of it is this, no one has any time for truckers at all, we just get in the way of people on motorways and spill diesel everywhere and are just generally 2nd class citizens wherever we go it seems, sad but true.
Old 16-06-08, 01:22 PM   #15
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
Although your belly is not big enough to call yourself a tracker I will take your word for it LOL

Don't get me wrong here! I am not saying truckers shouldn't get paid what they are asking for! I was just wondering if there is a certain aspect of the job that makes it dangerous or difficult out of the ordinary.

So now the maths! on a £41k salary per year it comes down to £16.11 per hour on a 48 hr week

I think it's time for me to re-evaluate my situation
Yeah but anything over 40hrs is o/time surely ? and thanks for noticing my slimline physique
Old 16-06-08, 01:23 PM   #16
600+

Quote:
...and are just generally 2nd class citizens wherever we go it seems, sad but true.
you are a biker as well so now you are twice a 2nd class citizen

Seriously though I think this is just an image that some people decide to accept. Similarly, as with bikers, if you decide to accept that Jo Public isn't really fond of you then you will feel that way.

It's all a matter of perception
Old 16-06-08, 01:27 PM   #17
stewie

Quote:

Seriously though I think this is just an image that some people decide to accept. Similarly, as with bikers, if you decide to accept that Jo Public isn't really fond of you then you will feel that way.

It's all a matter of perception
And Im a shortar$e, Ive got nothing going for me
Old 16-06-08, 01:30 PM   #18
600+

Did somebody mention the word Overtime???? What's that?? Don't even go there mate!!

Most of the people I know don't get paid overtime, we just work like any other day.

You are a shortar$e indeed but you have a good heart somewhere in that round body of yours so don't worry too much about it
Old 16-06-08, 01:30 PM   #19
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Does that make him a 3rd class citizen or a 4th class citizen?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-08, 01:34 PM   #20
timwilky
Mega Poster

I did my class 1, 27 years ago and not driven for over 25 years. Would I be tempted to do it again. Never.

The pressure, boredom, stupid hour, dimwit drivers, then add the official rubbish of Hours, weights, VOSA/DVLA checks etc. Forget it. I will stick to my £600+/day doing IT