SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-03-09, 06:12 AM   #11
petevtwin650

Default Re: I'm very excited...

So, did you get back ok BIB?

What do you think of it?

Pics please.
Old 21-03-09, 06:17 AM   #12
markryker

Post Re: I'm very excited...

Yes pics please
Renthal streetfighter bars, Carbon can co exhaust, tail tidy, seat cowl, rear hugger, front mud thingy, hel braided lines, clear indicator lenses,fairing lowers, crash bungs, k&N air filter, chewys mirror extenders
markryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-09, 08:50 PM   #13
BigFootIsBlurry

Oh my god, friday turned into one hell of a day, for all the wrong reasons. I picked up my bike (pics will follow on Monday, for now I've had to leave it in the garage and drive a Land Rover full of funiture up the country to see the folks) and first impression were good. I hadn't forgotten what to do (3 months since my test) and felt safe and comfortable, if not particularly fast. Then, about 40 miles into a 65 mile journey disaster struck.

After putting it into neutral at some lights I knocked it into first to pull away, no worries. went to stick it in second, let the clutch out, still in first. I thought I'd missed my gear, it certainly wouldnt have been the first time in the journey I'd done it. When I 'missed' again I looked down to see the my gear lever/shifter had broken off. C8ck.

So, after 10 mins of head scratching I rang the AA and spend the next hour and a half sitting in the grass verge at Stow on the Wold watching it get dark around me (I'd taken a couple of hours off work just so I didn't have to ride unfamiliar roads home in the dark, wanted to concentrate on my riding not my navigating). AA guy turned up, bent what was left of the lever to make it useable and I rode home.

So, my journey back took about 4 hours instead of just under two. Then when I got the bike home I had to drive the aforementioned Land Rover half the length of the country. All in all I spent far too long sitting looking at my bike rather than riding it.

Overall though, I loved the bike. Much easier to ride than I thought, quick enough I'm sure and I got lots of friendly nods from other bikers, which was nice. Anyone know where my best bet for a new gear selector is and whether a total mechanical idiot (me) should be able to fit it?

2000 curvy, yellow and naked. Gone but not forgotten.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-09, 08:57 PM   #14
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFootIsBlurry View Post

Overall though, I loved the bike. Much easier to ride than I thought, quick enough I'm sure and I got lots of friendly nods from other bikers, which was nice. Anyone know where my best bet for a new gear selector is and whether a total mechanical idiot (me) should be able to fit it?
Ebay or here, and yes. All you'll need is a small adjustable spanner.
Old 22-03-09, 01:02 AM   #15
petevtwin650

Hmmm, shouldn't haven broken like that.

You could try one of these

http://www.fixer-peg.co.uk/shop/cate...ram=cid%3D3%26

but the lever has been bent by the AA guy now although you could straighten it.

Somebody on here may have one but they are in such demand unfortunately.

Lets hope your next ride ends much more happily.
Old 22-03-09, 01:07 AM   #16
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
Good luck.

Obviously you'll take your time coming home.

Wrap up warm and make sure your visor is polished and clear.

Double check that all the lights and indicators work with emphasis on the brake lights. Try and stop on the way back. Know how to open up the filler cap and make sure you don't run out of fuel AND FILL IT WITH DIESEL . Also, if possible, check the tyre pressures using a proper gauge and not a petrol station one. Lastly, make sure there is enough oil in the engine.

Let us know you got back safely.
Corrected for you Pete
Old 22-03-09, 02:48 PM   #17
BigFootIsBlurry

I've got a new lever from Jester on here so will go about fixing it during the week. Its still rideable at the minute, only thing is that it muist be a bit sharp where it broke and its chewed up the leather on my boots, which is annoying but not the end of the world. I'm going to get me one of those fixer pegs though, it would have saved me so much grief.

2000 curvy, yellow and naked. Gone but not forgotten.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-09, 04:05 PM   #18
Thingus

Friday and Saturday, best days of the year so far, i crashed and took my bike off the road on Friday and hit my mate who himself went out and crashed at 140mph on Saturday so we're both off the road.

Sorry to hear abotu the problems! Good luck tho!
Old 22-03-09, 04:29 PM   #19
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFootIsBlurry View Post
about picking up my new bike tomorrow. Naked yellow curvey with the devils own exhaust note

That is all
snap