SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-03-13, 07:14 PM   #11
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Default Re: Amitriptyline

Jeez you lot are a right bunch of druggies!

Oh and dan you've always been a bit messed up, some might even say abnormal. See what I did there .

As for amytriptothingy ill ask hazel as she's had loads of different things prescribed for migraines
Old 01-03-13, 07:43 PM   #12
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Just asked, she did take them for her migraines but only for a short while as they weren't very effective for her. She doesn't remember any weird side affects at the time.
She said she's tried quite a few different pills for her migraines including beta blockers.

She's now on sumatriptan which seems to work fairly well, when I say fairly well I mean she can function like school runs or even just sitting on the soda as opposed to not being able to do anything for 3 days

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-03-13 at 07:49 PM.
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 08:20 PM   #13
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Just reminded me, I was on beta blockers for migraines when I was a child. Far better than amitriptyline, well must have been for a child to take them. Must have worked too, as I've only ever had a proper migraine with swirly colours once or twice since then. I'm lucky now though, its a rarity I take so much as one paracetamol for a headache.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 01-03-13 at 08:22 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 09:40 PM   #14
Bri w

Co-codamol + Amytrip as a muscle relaxant for severe back pain. Reduced the pain but no side effects, although it definitely didn't mix well with Guinness.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-13, 10:01 PM   #15
bathwiggle

I was put on it a few years ago to increase my pain tolerance, i can't say i noticed any difference, but i tried it for a few months and got fed up of taking tablets every day. I vagually recall sleeping like the dead when i was taking them.
Old 01-03-13, 10:59 PM   #16
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I have the Imigran for when one comes on. That's the triptan stuff. Not tried beta blocker though I have proprananol at home so may give them a go. Apparently they may be getting more frequent as I approach the menopause. Which seems a bit unfair as I still don't seem to have had my teenage growth spurt yet.
Old 01-03-13, 11:10 PM   #17
metalmonkey

My advice don't put into your body, my doctor tried to give it me I took one 20mg tablet I felt really bad totally out of it, my brain basically stopped fuctioning its takes away who you are. Its a tricylic anitdepresent, it basically works by acting on your CNS and depressing the CNS activity, so as the fuction is decreased its also acts on the pain recpetors in your brain, hence you feel less pain but the side effects are really bad.

I'd really try to find out the cause rather than taking these dam things, thats why I stopped taking them. I taken diazepam as its a muscle relaxant along with another pain killer which do the short term job whilst I'm having loads of test done. Goodluck, hope you feel better soon
Old 01-03-13, 11:22 PM   #18
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

The only side effect is the dreams. If anything I've had more energy than usual and I only ever need 5 to 6 hours sleep a night anyway. That's the thing, I know what causes the migraines, I can plot almost to the day when I'll get them so at least I can avoid booking holiday or anything on those days. It's just a case of trying to find something to make them less severe. They used to give me codeine but they do space me out and don't do much to ease my headaches.
Old 02-03-13, 08:07 AM   #19
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

If you can plot them nearly to the day, am I assuming its something to do with your cycle? Is there nothing you can be advised on, that might stop that other than large scale drugs? Have you researched anything about what triggers at that particular time?

I'd rather have a headache than feeling like I have morning sickened every month for a week, and those damn tumours turning pain up to contractions level.

As for menopause, that's like a piece of string, it could happen soon, it might not. Hereditary, I should start hitting it at around 38. Bloody relief if all be said, because the tumours will go and I should be pain free and sickeness free. If not, ill live in hell until it happens

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-13, 08:25 AM   #20
NTECUK
Mega Poster

If its cycle related you could try the pill.
That helped allot for Sarah.