SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-07-07, 09:28 AM   #11
Pedro68

Default Re: Would You Like More Bumps With That Sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmJunkie View Post
Yes Pedro they've been gone some time now. What a ridiculous place to put them, in the braking zone on a bend on an apex on a busy 60mph road????
Who in the council decides where these things are put, an Orang Utan with learning difficulties could do a better job, I bet it would spot the apex danger straight away??
RJ, the speed limit has been reduced to 50mph for the whole of Snake Pass now bit of a bu99er if you know the road very well Also, even though there are speed camera signs along the straight(ish) stretch alongside the Ladybower Reservoir, there are NO cameras there, and very rarely do I see mobile camera vans there. However lots of cars do tend to "push their luck" when overtaking on the approach to the brow of that hill, and I've seen (and been stuck behind) plenty of accidents on that stretch

Got overtaken by some numpty in a big black 7 series - he was overtaking everyone, and he didn't care where he did it! Regardless of whether you know the road or not, there are only really a few SAFE overtaking sections on Snake Pass (in a car). So I didn't give a stuff when I came round a bend and hit slow-moving traffic as we filtered past the 7 series ON ITS ROOF! I did feel sorry for the poor car he hit though It was a mess, although surprisingly both drivers were up and walking about

Pete
Old 18-07-07, 09:50 AM   #12
Ceri JC

Yes, I've encountered these. Last thing you want if you're approaching a bend in the wet is something which unsettles the bike and increases your stopping distance. And to think our taxes pay for them.

RANT RANT RANT
Old 18-07-07, 10:51 PM   #13
RhythmJunkie

Funny thing about speed limits....a nutter does 80 in a silly car (black windows, wheelie bin exhaust, road scraper supension, mandatory blue bonnet lights) wipes up bollards, pedestrians, parked cars.....so what do the local council do? Drop the speed limit from 50mph to 40mph???? But the guy was doing 80 and didn't give a rats protuberance about maiming his fellow human beings....what good is a new speed limit????

I can't remember the exact figure but something like 90% of the info you take into your brain when you drive is visual. Hardly any audio and very little touch although bikers probably feel the vehicle/road surface more so than a car driver. Why do these public school failures think its a great idea to pump extra unwanted information into our already crowded brains just when we don't need it, when approaching a dangerous bend? Whats wrong with reflective chevrons? 2 chevies slight bend 8 chevies haul on the brakes! Simple innit? Rumble strips? Wake up call? Its not going to work! Someone had a great idea a while ago to put rumble strips along the edge of the motorways to wake up sleepy drivers who nod off. That was a great idea but this is probably where the rumbly strips sprang from.
The best slowing device I've come across are the little LED driven signs which flash up a warning if you enter a village a little quickly. Again its a totally visual experience and hits you straight between the eyes with useful information. The number of times I've been busy watching the traffic and one of those signs has flashed on only to make me jump and throttle off slightly in a sort of tiny panic, like rounding a bend and seeing a plod with a mobile camera pointing at you, that sort of tiny panic! So I think they are cool and do what they say on the tin etc.!
For normal intelligent riders a simple SLOW painted on the road is enough but even they could do with being made of none slip paint.

Bennets sent my cover note by second class post so it didn't arrive so I couldn't tax her and I couldn't ride her or smell her perfumes or feel her lumpy vibrances or feel her shiver over wet manholes.....maybe tomorrow.....come on Bennetts yer skinflints.....2nd class I ask you?
Old 19-07-07, 11:36 AM   #14
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Pah! They made me wait a whole week!

And sods law, the week with no tax it was lovely and sunny and I was stuck on my rat of a CG125 with the SV in the garage, as soon as insurance arrived it pizzled it down!
Old 19-07-07, 01:23 PM   #15
Alpinestarhero

I'm not sure what you mean, but there are some similar things around the brighton / sussex area leading up to roundabouts on the A27 - big, thick yellow lines stretching across all the lanes. Its ok in the dry, bit juddery, but if it was wet i would only use my engine braking and go down through the gears to get stopped...

Matt
Old 25-07-07, 07:02 AM   #16
RhythmJunkie

Matt.....these strips are rarely across both lanes like those stupid 30mph zone ones which seem to warn you about the speed limit 'as you are leaving the village'? These only sit across one lane, around 5 or 6 strips but often come in sets of three (15-18 total), about 25mm wide but with varying thicknesses, usually around 10mm which is a hefty thwack in yer front tyre at 60mph. They are of a high grip substance but cause the tyre to momentarily leave the ground so in the wet whilst braking and leant over they are going to make a motorcycle very unstable, in fact an unexperienced rider could lose control with dire consequences! I guess they are cheaper than warning signs!! There are some really bad ones on the A623 between Peak Forest and Stoney Middleton. Where tight esses go through a steep dip. A sign saying very slow or dangerous bend would be fine but no, not in Derbyshear!