SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-10-06, 10:23 PM   #11
BILLY

How much!!!!! done up like a kipper
Old 04-10-06, 10:37 PM   #12
Ed

Oh holy Mary is that how much they charge. I charge £400 flat fee for most resi conveyancing - some of it takes 10 - 12 hours, gives me an hourly rate ot £33 - £40. That's after 6 years trg and 20 years experience. And still people complain
Old 05-10-06, 06:34 AM   #13
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY
How much!!!!! done up like a kipper
I don't think so. I would put money that you do all you own work and servicing and so seeing the bill of a garage can seem expensive when you look at how much the parts would cost you. However, I don't think that it is unrealistic. I think it is on the expensive side, but I think that it would be quite possible to reach that price, and still be considered to be within the realms of fair. As BB said, chalk it down to experience and don't give garage's carte blanche to fix/service your bike!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 06:50 AM   #14
zx6man

engine oil and filter..35 notes...having a laugh. sounds like they put fully syntht in there (not needed) or at least charged you for it...
Old 05-10-06, 08:42 AM   #15
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Retail for OE oil filter is £10.19. Apparently the SV uses about 3 litre(never measured myself) so using the above mentioned prices for oil,
3x £6.99 + £10.19 = £31.16 OR
3x£8.99 +£10.19=£37.16

Air filter curvy=£21.98
Rectifier Curvy(up to K1)= £85.41 and K2=£98.84

Air filter Pointy=£18.64
Rectifier Pointy=£89.12

The pads appear to be the only thing that seems a tad expensive but as said depends on what they put in. That could still be just what they sell the parts for.

£35/hr sounds good though so maybe if you look at it as having gained on the labour charge and lost a bit on the parts bit, it's wouldn't look so bad .

Always makes sure the garage knows exactly what they should or should not do. Saves unnecessary lengthy conversations at the very least.

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 09:47 AM   #16
Viney
Mega Poster

Im with ben. Its about right for parts. HG sell plugs at £6 a pop for the record.

What epople have to remember, is that not everyone has the Tools, time or environment to work on thier bike. Its fine if you have a tool kit, know what you are doing, have a decent garden/garage to work in, and have the time!

I need to service doris, including the valve clearences, but been busy, and when i had the time, it's raining, so it will have to wait for now.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 11:03 AM   #17
DanAbnormal

That looks about right in my experience. Now I do most servicing myself. Just did a 4'000 miles service on my Hornet and spent about £45 in total. 4x spark plugs, new semi-synth oil, OE oil filter and some chain lube. The garage wanted £200 for the same thing!
Old 05-10-06, 11:10 AM   #18
northwind
Mega Poster

It does seem a lot of labour, but electrical problems can be difficult. And without knowing the condition of the calipers, you can't really say how long it should take to fix- could be they brought those back from the brink of scrap, which would take time. But, I doubt that tbh since they didn't charge for new seals- any bad buildup would usually take the dustseals out.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 11:52 AM   #19
seandixie

Thanks for the replies guys. As Vinny said I've no real tools or experience. I wouldn't have a clue about taking brakes apart let alone putting them back together again. the guy at the garage was a good bloke and has even offered to try and give my alarm a go, a problem which has bothered me for months.
Old 05-10-06, 06:37 PM   #20
zx6man