SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-17, 02:50 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: New to me Pointy SV - what's worth doing right away?

just get RRG m8. its specifically designed for brakes.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 04:07 PM   #12
aesmith

Working my way through the list when I've had time ..
- Oil and filter done
- Front calipers done (looked perfect inside, but at least I know all the bits have the correct grease applied), brake fluid changed
- Rear suspension in bits cleaned and inspected
- Fitted Gizmo and Optimate cable

Still to do ..
- Change coolant
- Rear caliper and brake fluid
- Reassemble rear suspension
- Grease head bearings, check adjustment
- Fit Scottoiler, heated grips, fender extender

I need to swap a few things off the old bike, but at the moment that's in service. Any more recommended preventative jobs?

Also, what do people put on the exhaust joints? To get the swinging arm off I needed to disconnect pipe joints and the front cylinder head connection. Would like to try and make sure these can be disconnected again in the future, but not leak until then. I was considering replacing the cylinder head machine screws with studs and nuts (stainless?)
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 04:28 PM   #13
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I'm a great believer in Electrical connector maintenance.

See this thread a few posts down,

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=225498

I'm glad I have.I've been working through my 1999 X SV and the large(Yellow on mine) connector block near the steering stem had signs of pin corrosion.This is a breakdown waiting to happen some point in the future in my experience.

Electrical connectors are an often overlooked maintenance point.

Simple technique.
Pull apart connector,spray with Iso,push together and then pull apart again and let evaporate.
Then a few drops of ACF50 into the connector and push together.I also spray onto where the wires go into the connector and smear some ACF50 onto the wires where they are exposed.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-02-17 at 04:30 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 05:33 PM   #14
aesmith

Cheers, electrical connectors added to the list.
Old 24-02-17, 07:15 PM   #15
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Oil the cables.Throttle and Clutch?

Dunno if you are concerned on a fully faired but on my nekked SV I've made a homemade Rad guard from an old 15" PA speaker grill I had around,

Took the rubber sleeve it had around it and then went at it with the snips,

I like to ride some small,"Goat-Track" rough roads from time to time

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-02-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 24-02-17, 07:29 PM   #16
aesmith

Cables added to the list, although those are sort of routine maintenance anyway. The throttle needs adjusting, there's loads of play.

A fender extender keeps the crap off the radiator, not so the oil cooler and I still don't have a solution for that. I still have a mind to remove it, an oil cooler permanently choked with mud isn't doing anything anyway.
Old 24-02-17, 07:34 PM   #17
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Just as an aside.When I get a new-to-me motorcycle I get all geared up e.g Jacket/Boots and gloves and sit on the bike and adjust the handlebars to suit my build.This is something I think most people never do.They assume the bars will be set right for them.I've found even a millimeter out can have a fatigue affect.

I am however possibly more susceptible to these things because of a bad shoulder caused by an industrial injury and also a little back trouble but it's worth checking IMHO.

PS

I've fitted a,"Fender Extender" as well

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-02-17 at 07:37 PM.
Old 24-02-17, 10:47 PM   #18
DomP

Bit obvious probably but definitely remove clean and copper grease as many fasteners as you can get access to within reason, especially the ones prone to seizing like the front mudguard shouldered bolts etc.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 11:36 PM   #19
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomP View Post
Bit obvious probably but definitely remove clean and copper grease as many fasteners as you can get access to within reason, especially the ones prone to seizing like the front mudguard shouldered bolts etc.
Good point.I've been very fortunate with my SV650 purchase so far.The bike is in exceptional cosmetic condition for the year(1999) and all the important bolts I've removed have been previously re-inserted with copper grease either by the previous owners or servicing.This is a joy to work on and I have repeated this service point as with luck and good fortune I hope this will be my last Motorcycle.

This is of course,not written in stone

I tend to replenish with with my ACF50 grease but Copper grease is as good for this application.

In fact anyone removing bolts/fasteners reading this thread,do yourself a favour.Even a bit of clean engine oil or 3-in-1 on the bolts or screws before you put them back in will help yourself later or the next guy and if they are more critical bolts that need a torque setting,get a torque wrench.

Remember!Whatever you pay for decent tools will save you pounds in the future by continual use and that includes lubricant tools like ACF50.

It really is the,"Dog's Bo**cks"

PS
You want to see something really freaky but good and there's more on YT,

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-02-17 at 11:50 PM.
Old 25-02-17, 04:32 PM   #20
aesmith

Some more done today, back suspension all cleaned greased shimmed and reassembled. I fitted O rings on the linkage bearings, don't know if they'll do any good but can't do any harm. I think that's all the unpleasant jobs for the moment. Will go round treating bolts and connectors as suggested, otherwise I'm almost at a stand until I get the Scottoiler and heated grips.