SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 13-12-08, 10:18 AM   #11
Tiger 55

Default Re: Largs Ice Cream Run. Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Does the ferry have tiedowns etc?
They didn't use any when me and Mr Shonadoll went over in the summer, but it was pretty calm. I dare say they're in a box somewhere to be produced with a lot of huffing if you ask.
Old 14-12-08, 10:10 AM   #12
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Does the ferry have tiedowns etc?
I've been on CalMac ferries twice with the bike. Once no tie downs were used, but it was a open ferry like this

so the vehicles go in the middle and the people stand round the edges. You could see down onto the vehicle deck and people could walk on and off the vehicle deck at will. If it did get choppy you could just go down and stand with your bike.

The other time I went was a proper ferry like this

with no access to the car deck, and it was a bit choppy. They had all the bikes parked down the left hand side of the ferry on the side stand, and gave you a normal rope to tie between the frame and a rail on the side wall of the car deck, so the bike was tensioned against the side stand and couldn't fall to the right. I wasn't completely happy with that 'cos if the bike rolled forward it could roll off the stand and fall against the wall to the left, so I left the bike in gear, put a tie wrap round my front brake lever and got some cardboard to chock the wheels.
Old 15-12-08, 02:26 AM   #13
haggis

I've taken the bike on a few ferries- Mallaig, Orkney and seacat to Belfast. Just the once I've had to stay with the bike due too more bikes than available ratchet-straps, every other time they've been provided. However i do have my own if need be.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165760
One like this is cheap, small enough to stow yet sturdy enough to hold it securely. Worthwhile investment as I've used it on a trailer too. Oh, and when I broke down and their recovery guy didn't have one!!!

One thing thats vital is if they strap over the seat, they must use padding otherwise you'll end up with a split seatcover. I've seen it happen, and then they just shrugged and pretty much said "it's a risk you take".... how helpful!
Old 02-01-09, 03:30 PM   #14
Kilted Ginger

OK the date is 22nd Feb, the destination Largs, the consensus seem to fancy the ferry so the route pretty much writes itself.

start????..... Loch Lomomd, Glen fruin road, Wibbly wobbly, Rest and be thankful then cut off onto the A815 to Creggans, couple of choices to Ardbeg then tha ferry at hunters quay or dunoon, then the A78 through inverkip to Largs.

So what we need is a meeting point, id thought about balloch (77miles), Great western road's been suggested (100miles) so step up folks tell me where you want to meet, probably about 10:30am on a sunday morning, needs off road parking and preferably coffee facilities

Secondly is there still a demand for a very short run post icecream run ending at a facility with the ability to provide sustanance for weary travellers??
If so, where?? glasgowish, cheap and cheerful biker friendly licensed? This would also be available to anyone not able to attend the run ie new dads, babysitting partners, folk who dont do biking in february etc

If we get a few suggestions for both meeting and eating and nothing jumps right out i'll poll or just decide depending on time.
Old 02-01-09, 03:49 PM   #15
Tiger 55

Hein Gericke for me please, there's a coffee shop across the road. I'd suggest a bimble straight down the Great Western Road for easy navigation and a regroup in Dumbarton prior to the fun beginning. From there it is as you have written.

Post event refreshment? Licenced premises you say? Hmm. If we're going back Beith - Lugton - Barrhead (the reverse of Careless' route down last year) how about The Hurlett in, frankly, Nitshill. Brewers Fayre type place, easy parking and close to the motorway network for jumping off home - linky.
Old 02-01-09, 04:13 PM   #16
Kilted Ginger

Ferry information:

Western ferries Between Hunter's Quay (Dunoon) & McInroy's Point (Gourock)
Every 20 mins, £3.50 per motorcycle, need to confirm if this includes rider but dont think so. £3.50 per passanger.

Calmac ferries, Dunoon - Gourock.
1 per hour (10 to the hour) £4.10 per m/c + £2.90 PP = £7

Ive emailed both companies asking how many bikes they can transport and any chance of a discount (worth a try) i'll let you know when they reply.
Old 02-01-09, 04:22 PM   #17
TheShadow

Count me in for this!
Old 04-01-09, 11:34 AM   #18
gerbrox

btw, was in largs on new years day and the original Nardini's is open, don't know if thst changes anything, just thoguht I'd mention it.
Old 04-01-09, 12:53 PM   #19
Kilted Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbrox View Post
btw, was in largs on new years day and the original Nardini's is open, don't know if thst changes anything, just thoguht I'd mention it.
That'll be the local weegie knowledge I asked for.
Well done gerbrox, where is it, parking facilities etc....
Old 04-01-09, 02:00 PM   #20
gerbrox

It's pretty much across from the ferry terminal, parking is across the road, but I'm sure it's not free.
http://http://maps.google.co.uk/maps...8&hl=en&tab=wl

on the corner of Nelson Street & Greenock Road.[/IMG]