SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-07-09, 03:39 PM   #11
kwak zzr

Default Re: compact digital camera buying advice

this happened to me also with my old fuji fine pix lol they have come on leaps and bounds and the only advice i can give is just to spend as much as you can. one thing that has surprised me tho is how cheap memory is now i just ordered a 8gig sd card off ebay for £11 delivered
Old 13-07-09, 03:40 PM   #12
Daimo

Advice???

Spend more money.

Difference between a "up to £150" camera and a £200+ camera is simply mental. Amount of quality you can get vastly improves. It'll last a good 5 years, shell out more for one is my advice.
Old 13-07-09, 03:41 PM   #13
Viney
Mega Poster

Dont read reviews, it confuses the hell out of you and makes a normaly simple decision much harder. It took me 3 months of uming and ahing as to wich camera i should get. I wanted a DSLR, but in reality, it wouldnt have got used as much as a compact, so after much deliberation, i got a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 and to be honest, its unbelievable. Now that the TZ6 & 7 are out, you may be able to find the TZ 4 or 5 for a lot less. I payed £200 for the camera, bag, extra battery and memort card form Jessops. Once you get used as how to take DSLR type pictures with it, its stunning. The fact its pocket sized means it will get used a lot more, and its 28-280mm (eqivilent) lens is superb...and basicaly the camera is a Leica camera in a different body. I am more than impressed. IUf you want to see the quality of photos, let me know, i can either email you some, or link you to my facebook.

Last edited by Viney; 13-07-09 at 03:43 PM.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-09, 03:41 PM   #14
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
this happened to me also with my old fuji fine pix lol they have come on leaps and bounds and the only advice i can give is just to spend as much as you can. one thing that has surprised me tho is how cheap memory is now i just ordered a 8gig sd card off ebay for £11 delivered
holy cr*p thats cheap, I need a new card will check out ebay me thinks !

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-09, 03:45 PM   #15
kwak zzr

here it is fizz - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=370162390038

£10.49 delivered.
Old 13-07-09, 04:54 PM   #16
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Wont recommend a camera cos there are more clued up peeps than me on here for that.

However i will suggest www.pixmania.com as they are very well priced and offer some models that you just cant get here. Example my Olympus Mju was only avaible here as a 7m pixel and in black or silver and form pixmania for the same money or could get it at 8m pixels and in black,silver,blue or orange.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-09, 05:23 PM   #17
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
holy cr*p thats cheap, I need a new card will check out ebay me thinks !
Two places I can recommend for such stuff, had very good service from both places.

7dayshop
http://www.memorybits.co.uk/

One tip with memorybits, if you go on and browse, sometimes when you go to leave the site it'll pop-up with a "special" discount offer if you buy now, so try leaving first!
Old 14-07-09, 11:00 AM   #18
trickywoos

Pixmania are just a branch off of a well known big company, where they put slightly cheaper things...........they can be found on amazon a lot too.

I'm watchng this with interest as i need a smaller compact to go with my DSLR (My DSLR has the 300mm lens on most of the time, and need a compact for people shots!)
Old 14-07-09, 11:19 AM   #19
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickywoos View Post
Pixmania are just a branch off of a well known big company, where they put slightly cheaper things...........they can be found on amazon a lot too.

I'm watchng this with interest as i need a smaller compact to go with my DSLR (My DSLR has the 300mm lens on most of the time, and need a compact for people shots!)

or possibly a run of the mill lens like 18-55 maybe?

I bought one of these: Canon Powershot A1000 S

10 megapixels (more than enough! anything more than 5mp is a waste if you're not going to be printing them out)
4x zoom which does a decent job...
Turn and shoot time is around 1 second on full batteries.
Oh and it has the same digic processor as canon use in their DSL-r's apparently, so you can shoot something 2 or 3 frames per second continuously.. great for shots like the one of the bmx'er at the bottom

Oh, actually this last one was taken with my canon 350d but gotta throw it in to big up canon anyway

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-09, 12:03 PM   #20
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickywoos View Post
Pixmania are just a branch off of a well known big company, where they put slightly cheaper things...........
Really, which one is it? I'm curious now.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote