SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 09-09-13, 01:54 PM   #11
IanG

Default Re: Ireland trip

Nice write up and thank you for posting the good roads and map links.
I can see me using this for future reference.
Old 10-09-13, 02:32 PM   #12
Winder

Day 5

Crap nights sleep in the Pikey B&B as it was freezing cold inside but breakfast was really good and the wind and rain had eased off a bit by the time i left.
Straight up the N15 to Donegal and the left on the N56 towards Killybegs. From here i jumped onto the R263 to Malinbeg for a break and then some little L roads back to the N56 towards Ardara.
The N56 and the R263 are really really great, loads of twisty tight bends and fast flowing sections.
The road surfaces aren't the best on some parts but only when nearing towns. I imagine this is down to heavy use and gritting through the winter but just keep you eye out for pot holes!

From Ardara i went straight up the N56 to Gweedore then onto the R251 taking me through the mountains of Glenveagh National Park (see picture just off R251 with mountains behind the church).
This stretch of the N56 is really awesome, loved it.

I decided to cross the border at Strabane and take some B roads to Draperstown and from there a roads and motorway to my parents house.
The B roads i took to Draperstown were great fun BUT the road surface was the worst i had seen on the whole trip and this is in NORTHERN IRELAND!
I avoided the North Coast as i would be going there for the NW 200.

Good roads = N59 is excellent from north of Killybegs , R263

Route = https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...d14d390d&msa=0
Old 10-09-13, 02:44 PM   #13
Winder

Day 6 = Rest day, lunch and lots of Guinness with old mates and family. Good times.
Old 10-09-13, 04:08 PM   #14
Winder

Day 7

NW200 main race day and in true Northern Ireland tradition the rain is fecking hammering it down. This isn't any of your English girly shirt lifter rain, the rain drops actually hurt you when the hit you. A whole family actually drowned in a single rain drop in East Belfast. True story bro.

Anyway, the rain eased off at about 0530 and i got on the bike and headed up the famous coast road (A2).
On a good day you can see Jockland while traveling the coast road, today visability was down to about 100 metres out to sea.
If you like little narrow nadgery roads with camber that seems designed to catch you out then come off the A2 by Cushendun onto Torr Road, This will lead you to Torr Head which again, on a good day will give excellent views out to the Irish Sea.
I have been up the coast road many times before so i thought a quick trip to Dark Hedges was in order. Dark Hedges is on Bregagh Road in Armoy and a lot of visitors to the Joey Dunlop memorial garden go there for a photo (see small photo of Michael Dunlop at Dark Hedges). Google Dark Hedges, loads of great shots.
Anyway, i got to Portrush, found myself a quality spot on the inside of Metropole bend and the rain came down worse than ever. I got to watch all two laps of the racing.
To make my day that much better i left my phone in my outer pocket of my water proofs and the pocket filled with water and destroyed the phone. Lost all my photographes that i took on the phone of the ENTIRE trip. I only used the phone on that day hence no photographes.

So after 2 hours of the race getting put back waiting for the weather to clear i gave up and went home in the torrential rain. Got home and a few hours later the whole race day was called off AGAIN. Proper dog **** day.

Not sure why google maps changed the route to straight lines rather than following roads but you can still see the route as its just riding up the coast.
Route = https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...38416,2.458191
Route =
Old 10-09-13, 05:05 PM   #15
Winder

Day 8

Again, no photos of this awsome little day trip due to phone being water damaged.

Heading South on the coast road this time to Portaferry where i jump on the car ferry across the lough to Strangford. Some cracking stretches of road from Ballywalter down to Portaferry, good views and the roads are nice and twisty. The car ferry only takes a few mnutes and is about £4 return.
From Strangford to Ardglass and onto Clogh the roads are bloody brilliant! Even with the views of the Northern coastal roads i still prefer this Southern route because the roads are far better. If you nip off down a country lane around here you will not be disappointed.
Newcastle is a gathering spot for bikers on a Sunday so i stopped there to look at some bikes and have a brew and then i was off to Silent Valley and the Mourne mountains. More great roads and views to be had here.
Kilkeel for luch and then i headed for home back the way i came. However, once off the car ferry i kept the water to my left and headed up towards Kircubbin and not using the A2. These roads are great i think they may get missed out by visitors sticking to the costal route.

150 miles as a little short day out as the next day i was riding down the motorway to Dublin for the ferry back to Holyhead and an awesome 12 hour smash through Wales and home. But that's another story.

Route = https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ms...48125,2.458191

Last edited by Winder; 07-11-13 at 07:29 PM.
Winder is offline   Reply With Quote