SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-05-08, 06:19 AM   #11
kitkat

Default Re: Paid it forward.

when my chain snapped, the police drove past me 3 times as I was pushing my bike. about 40 cars. a white van man stopped (well he drove past when it first happened, dropped his mate off 5 miles down the road at his house and drove back tosee if I was ok)

thats because I have driven past bikes at the side of the road before. I dont like to stop if its a man and Im on my own (I might be able to control myself lol) and I have the mechanical aptitude of a caterpillar so would be as much use to them as an ashtray.
Old 02-05-08, 06:40 AM   #12
DanAbnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
when my chain snapped, the police drove past me 3 times as I was pushing my bike. about 40 cars. a white van man stopped (well he drove past when it first happened, dropped his mate off 5 miles down the road at his house and drove back tosee if I was ok)

thats because I have driven past bikes at the side of the road before. I dont like to stop if its a man and Im on my own (I might be able to control myself lol) and I have the mechanical aptitude of a caterpillar so would be as much use to them as an ashtray.
Ah but it's nice just to ask sometimes. I've asked about 4 bikers what the problem was. If the response was anymore than "I've run out of fuel" I sped of screaming.
Old 02-05-08, 08:11 AM   #13
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I remember stopping for a guy when I was in my company car (BMW as it is relevant) who was parked up at the side of the road. It was pretty remote and this biker was eyeing me up with great suspicion why this bloke in a flash car with a suit on had stopped in the middle of nowhere. I asked what the problem was and if he needed a lift / phone / etc. Turns out his chain was broke and a mate was on his way with a van.

He was genuinely gobsmacked a BMW driver had stopped to see if he was ok .

(am now cured of BMW-ness BTW)
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 08:35 AM   #14
Baph

Not long after I bought the SV, I took it out, and the muppets in the shop forgot to plug the Reg/Rec in. This meant the battery wasn't charging, and the bike died about 3 miles from home. It was 3 miles uphill too.

So I started pushing, a couple of cars came past quite happily, then one of the guys that lives near me stopped to help. We both lifted the bike into his pickup, and I sat on the bike whilst he drove home.

I paid him back with a beer.

Since that, I've stopped to help a ZX6 rider whose LH rearset had fallen off. I've also helped a guy with an NSR125 that had died (I took him pillion to the nearest bike shop, where he arranged a van to pickup the bike).

I've stopped by a few people to ask if anything has been wrong, and quite often it's just been "nah, thanks anyway."
Old 02-05-08, 09:48 AM   #15
Colby

I stopped to help a bike courier on the M4 hard shoulder a few years ago. We siphoned out some petrol from my bike into his and away he went...
Old 02-05-08, 11:17 AM   #16
Carsick

While sitting dejected on the inside of a crash barrier my bike had decided to make friends with, one guy stopped to see if I was ok, then said he'd check on me as soon as he's done what he needed to do, came back with a cup of tea and said he'd be back again cos he's up to a bunch of things and if recovery hadn't turned up by then, he's give me a lift home.
Old 02-05-08, 11:50 AM   #17
timwilky
Mega Poster

Only helped one stranded biker.

I was walking the dog and saw a bike in the distance as I neared home. As I passed him I asked if he was alright, turns out his chain had come off. He takes off his lid and it was a guy I used to know 20 odd years ago.

He gets out his little pack of tools obviously not enough, so we push his bike back to my house (100 yard). I then take off his front cover refit the chain on the sprocket and it is so loose I have to give him a lesson in adjusting his chain.

He runs a decorators wholesalers, and has repayed me by saying that I can now get trade discount whenever I go in his place.
Old 02-05-08, 02:34 PM   #18
kitkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
I've also helped a guy with an NSR125 that had died (I took him pillion to the nearest bike shop, where he arranged a van to pickup the bike).
that confused me for a minute thought you meant the guy had died - couldnt figure out how you got him to pillion
Old 02-05-08, 02:38 PM   #19
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
that confused me for a minute thought you meant the guy had died - couldnt figure out how you got him to pillion
Bungies are wonderful things

Necrophilia however is wrong

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 06:24 PM   #20
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
No, I hate taking pillions, it was wet and my tyres feel like jelly babies in the wet. He must have thought I ride liek an old woman.

*No offence to any old women on the site.
None taken lad.