SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 15-02-08, 07:13 PM   #11
Tomcat

Default Re: I have an urge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post

av it!
Old 15-02-08, 07:14 PM   #12
KnightRider
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
Meh

CBR600RR7

Link to map of TV members...if your not on the map then PM me. My facebook profile
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-08, 07:17 PM   #13
ASM-Forever

This might be of use:

http://www.usedbikeguide.com/bible/display.asp?id=156

Ignore the prices though. They havn't been updated for a while and are now utter tosh!

Bike specifications
Years-87-on
Size-600cc
Eng.Type-dohc 4
Output-85-108bhp
Top Speed-140-160mph
MPG-50mpg
Weight-182-170kg

The original CBR600F was a sensation which stood head and shoulders above the opposition. It went straight to the top of the sales charts and 18 years later the CBR is still there, but the 1987 and 2005 models have nothing in common apart from name. Over the years the engine, frame, suspension, brakes and bodywork have all undergone major changes. The weight has dropped from 400lb to 374lb and an increase of more than 20bhp has raised the top speed from 140 to 160-plus mph. However, versatility is this bike’s real trump card. It’s a go anywhere, do anything motorcycle that can be used for commuting, touring and track days. Launch in 2003 of the the brilliant CBR600RR version (see separate listing) freed this bike from the need to be refined into a more sharply focused sports machine and has strengthened its position as one of motorcycling’s great all-rounders. The original CBR600F-H version featured fully enclosed ‘jelly mould’ styling that was innovative in its day, but now looks old hat. That 1987 model was clocked by MCN at close to 150mph but 14omph was more realistic on the road. Most people loved it. UBG editor Brian Tarbox thought it brilliant at the time, but voiced reservations about the narrowness of the rear tyre which felt inadequate in the wet. That flaw was quickly taken care of and the bike has got better and better. It would require far more space than we have to list all the year-by-year changes. However, we can say with confidence that whichever model you go for will be superior to most 600cc rivals of the same vintage. Major stepping stones in its history include engine upgrades and a performance increase to 93bhp on the 1989 K model. Two years later the M version underwent radical alterations, including a change of bore and stroke and became the first 600 to produce a claimed 100bhp. Ram-air induction was added on the S model in 1994/5 and this was further uprated in 1996. An alloy frame and swinging arm were introduced on the FX in 1999 and fuel injection replaced carbs in 2000. There was another change of bore and stroke and a short-lived F-S Sport version was offered in 2001/2 with stiffer suspension and two-piece seat. There are lots of bargains out there - and the usual dogs. Pass on any bike you have any doubts about. This is one of the most popular Japanese motorcycles in Britain there has ever been. You see them everywhere, because they are so good, but they are not faultless. A clunky gearbox is the norm, cam chain tensioners have given problems, and on certain models the Rectifier has been known to cook batteries, so be careful out there.
Old 15-02-08, 07:19 PM   #14
StreetHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
If you ride a bike hard, you can ride the cbr600f hard, and really enjoy it. In truth most of these boys who think they are racers on the gsxr's etc are playing the image game. My bike is the same model/year as you are looking at there and it can play with the rest of them. Ok, not on track, with a thou, but put it with other 600's, with an average rider, the confidence it gives you will soon have you kicking ass before you know it

On the road when you are combining comfort, thrill, safety, you really cant go wrong. They are not a boring ride, unless you want them to be. They are forgiving, but they will also bob on.

This bike is awesome for a sport tourer. You can ride all day, in comfort, and still have a blast. I cannot recomend it enough.

And Honda build, what more can I say. If it goes at that price, buy it !

The only thing I would say is the is a little handlebar vibration, but that doesnt give me too much jip.

Ps: My other half has the black, exact same as you have on the link, and it is beautiful! Out of interest mine is silver, and much easier to keep clean
Cheers Tomcat, thats comfirmed what i was thinking

Jon - I'd rather get an RR but can't afford it, my ZX6R is HARSH, even an RR would feel plush in comparison. May have to add a few bits of course but thats half the fun isnt it
Old 15-02-08, 07:21 PM   #15
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_1871 View Post
Cheers Tomcat, thats comfirmed what i was thinking

Jon - I'd rather get an RR but can't afford it, my ZX6R is HARSH, even an RR would feel plush in comparison. May have to add a few bits of course but thats half the fun isnt it
Its a ninja...they're meant to be.
Old 15-02-08, 07:24 PM   #16
Tomcat

In response to plowsie camparing it to the sv. My sv didnt have the gsxr forks, but I would say the cbr is worlds apart from the sv. The amount of times I ride a road and think, thank god I'm not on my sv, it soaks up uneven road surfaces more then I could have dreamt of compared to the sv. I would imagine it to be much softer then the zxr also.

I am however, 9 stone and 5 ft 7, so I am asking different things from it then the manly build of plowsie

The power supply is smooth as you like, gears maybe slightly clunky, but you get used to that, cornering is a dream, and my Bt021's have done the job nicely.

Am I going on too much! I really do love it!
Old 15-02-08, 07:26 PM   #17
plowsie

No keep goin Esther, any more kind hearted comments on my Physique wouldnt go a miss either

+1 to what she saying, except for the power bit
Old 15-02-08, 07:32 PM   #18
Stig

I'd consider anything past 2000. FI and alloy frame. All the ones before then were steel frames and carbed. All though the very first CBR was good and they haven't stopped being good, in comparison to your kwak, your going to be seriously disappointed with anything older than 2000.
Old 15-02-08, 07:48 PM   #19
DanAbnormal

I've heard the 600F is a very good bike. People told me that the Hornet would be slow and boring compared to a SS600 but I have video of me vs gixxer 750's on the 'ring' that says otherwise. And best of all, it's a Honda, they last forever and are sooo comfy. Best of all worlds really.

Just don't do what I do! That being said my bike buying has been a true test of my marriage and I've past with flying colours. Perhaps I should aim for 3 bikes at once now?
Old 15-02-08, 07:59 PM   #20
Tomcat

The cbr changed a lot and really came into its own after the frame change and fuel injection, which I think was 02... but I stand to be corrected