SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-05-05, 05:45 PM   #11
Peter Henry

Randy,No I dont use a Scotoiler.But the chain was cleaned and resprayed with Motul Racing chain lube the night before.I tend to be quite carefull where I spray this though and I dont think what you are alluding to was the problem.Thx for giving it some thought though!
Old 22-05-05, 05:51 PM   #12
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
The thing that p*sses me off about this route, (which is 49km in total) is that there are whole sections that I know off by heart but others I get a blank on.This can often see me cursing beneath my helmet due to scrubbing off far more speed than was necessary on several ocasions. I really want to be able to go out on that road and do it text book,one day!
How those guys commit the Isle of Man circuit to memory astounds me!
I would much rather be scrubbing off too much speed than not enough.
Old 22-05-05, 09:29 PM   #13
Shooter

Maybe you ran over a few pebbles...that can do it.

PETER WROTE: The thing that p*sses me off about this route, (which is 49km in total) is that there are whole sections that I know off by heart but others I get a blank on.This can often see me cursing beneath my helmet due to scrubbing off far more speed than was necessary on several ocasions. I really want to be able to go out on that road and do it text book,one day!

New debate and thread possibility arises ?

Setting a whole lot of corners and twisties into RAM may not always be a good practice (IMHO). Maybe it was a 80mph corner as you remembered it last time but the kid on a bike / cow / petrol tanker on its roof ...just round that corner may not be exactly what your RAM is expecting and your parallel processing unit may overload....

Race Track - a different story.
Old 22-05-05, 09:41 PM   #14
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

pete me old mate

GET A DECENT BIKE !

that might help..

I will bring ya me blue speedy Sv over in July and take yer Duke back with me as excess luggage !

glad to be of help !

NB : the slippy brown stuff u say u saw all the way up the hill!..u sure that wasnt the day after when u did the run again >????
Old 22-05-05, 11:09 PM   #15
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
The thing that p*sses me off about this route, (which is 49km in total) is that there are whole sections that I know off by heart but others I get a blank on.This can often see me cursing beneath my helmet due to scrubbing off far more speed than was necessary on several ocasions. I really want to be able to go out on that road and do it text book,one day!
I would much rather be scrubbing off too much speed than not enough.
i was about to say that.

you should treat every corner like you dont know it.

so you are ready for the unexpected (cow sh*t mainly)
Old 23-05-05, 11:55 AM   #16
Peter Henry

You guys are correct. There are so many bends on this road that are actually blind,plus there is no get out if you get it wrong.On the way up you have rock face on your right,on the left armco stopping you from disapearing into the wild yonder way below!
I do prefer the one's where I can look across ravines to check if any traffic or obstacles coming in the opposite direction. A very good case in point to support your comments is that a fave spot to go on bikes is actually set on a sweeping 90º bend.Some guys come absolutely hurtling around that to show off.However all it takes is a car to be pulling out, (quite innocently)or to be stopped to turn in and any bike flying around that bend would have no chance.One guy missed doing this by literally one minute on Saturday.
I guess a little to do with it is nowadays I assess the risk potential a little bit more than I used to and prefer to go quicker when I feel that things are stacked in my favour!
Have I become a wuss?

Sig...You could be right mate, I'll get her packed for you!
Old 27-05-05, 02:30 AM   #17
Warren

i wouldnt say you have become a wuss, id say you were using your brain.

i do the same, id like to enjoy another day of motorcycling.

plus, there are many more bends out there with perfect visibility and no hidden dangers (which you can see before entering)

just a matter of saving the knee scraping bug til then.
Old 27-05-05, 07:43 PM   #18
wheelnut

I just had one of those brown pants experience. I was blasting home from work and got stopped at the level crossing! I made my way to the front and then gave it rice from a clean start :P

There are 6 or 7 long sweeping bends and then a long straight and then there was a orse! a big brown orse

It wasnt walking up the road, it was crossing the main road, with a young girl on it.......................... The horse had a wrinkled grin as it noticed me barreling down, and tried to go faster! I tried to go a lot slower quickly.

Im just going for a shower now! I hope horses dont have nightmares.

Be careful folks :P