SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-02-13, 10:03 AM   #11
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Re: New SV650s

Get these fitted by the dealer before you ride away if you can.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../CP0124BL.aspx
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 10:27 AM   #12
Fallout
Mega Poster

I've never had crash bungs but would definitely get them fitted if I had a new bike like yours. I've never dropped a bike, but I've been damn close a few times. I've just been lucky. Almost everyone else has, so if you don't want to be crying in a few months looking at your fairing smashed up on the road, do as Nobbylad suggests!

As Runako said, breaking in will be frustrating but don't take it too seriously. There are many schools of thought and the line I keep hearing all the time is a bike that is thrashed at some point during the break in period actually lasts longer. It's all about heat cycling and many people know far more than me and have done much more research (I remember Owenski making a thread fairly recently). So it's worth looking into. Personally if I had a brand new bike I'd be taking it easy, but I wouldn't be obeying these silly "Keep it under 5000 rpm for the first 1000 miles" rules and all that. I'd be opening the throttle all the way every now and then.

Worth searching around the forum for break-in related threads.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)

Last edited by Fallout; 12-02-13 at 10:28 AM.
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 10:36 AM   #13
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Get these fitted by the dealer before you ride away if you can.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../CP0124BL.aspx
Thanks for the advice. Crash bungs where indeed first thing on the list. Are the R&G ones significantly better than the OEM offering? According to the Suzuki site the price is as close as makes no difference and I think it would be easier to get them to fit the OEM ones.

Second thing on the list is security. I'm looking for a disc lock, probably without an alarm (don't want false alarms waking the neighbours) which fits under the rear seat. Doesn't have to be the strongest disc lock in the world, its just really to stop some scrote breaking the steering lock and pushing it down the street when I stop for a coffee.

I will probably buy a Almax chain for home security as its the only one I've seen convincingly standing up to a 42" pair of bolt cutters.
Old 12-02-13, 10:43 AM   #14
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
As Runako said, breaking in will be frustrating but don't take it too seriously. There are many schools of thought and the line I keep hearing all the time is a bike that is thrashed at some point during the break in period actually lasts longer.
Yeah, I'll be sticking mostly to the book for the run in. Can't be a bad thing as I'm still very inexperienced on a bike so I don't want to go rushing to the scene of an accident. I definitely will be cracking the throttle all the way open when I get the chance, but I'll be aiming to short shift at approximately the maximum recommended RPM.

I think modern engines are fairly unlikely to suffer badly from all but the worst of treatment during the run-in period (bouncing it off the rev-limiter unloaded :S). How many people have bought ex-demo bikes without having any issues that could be run-in related? Those certainly would not have been babied.
Old 12-02-13, 11:22 AM   #15
Elliott

Anyone seen a dyno break-in? Completely the opposite of what a dealer says and apparently it increases BHP created by the block.

Anyway congrats on the bike mate but take your time getting used to the Vtwin power band. You'll be glad you chose a twin!
Old 12-02-13, 11:27 AM   #16
Fallout
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
Yeah, I'll be sticking mostly to the book for the run in. Can't be a bad thing as I'm still very inexperienced on a bike so I don't want to go rushing to the scene of an accident. I definitely will be cracking the throttle all the way open when I get the chance, but I'll be aiming to short shift at approximately the maximum recommended RPM.

I think modern engines are fairly unlikely to suffer badly from all but the worst of treatment during the run-in period (bouncing it off the rev-limiter unloaded :S). How many people have bought ex-demo bikes without having any issues that could be run-in related? Those certainly would not have been babied.
Yeah exactly, and at the risk of sounding like a nob, you'll probably be moving on long before any longevity issues rear the head.

To be honest though it really is worth reading around. I've heard that using the correct run in procedure won't just improve engine longevity but will actually give you noticeable power increases (edit: What Elliot said above!). It's all about sealing those rings and the better the seal the more power. However I really can't give any advise since the only engine I've ever broken in was an RC monster truck!

All I know is if it was me I'd want to know about all schools of thought before I started breaking in, so I could choose the one which seemed to be the more respected and resulted in the best power. I'm sure the ones laid out in the manual are simply the tried and tested standard techniques which Suzuki wouldn't want to veer away from because they work.

For interest sake when I was braking in that RC truck it was something like this:
- 20 x 1/4 throttle runs from a stand still for 5 seconds then decelerate to a stop. Switch off and cool engine.
- 20 x 1/2 throttle runs from a stand still for 5 seconds then decelerate to a stop. Switch off and cool engine.
- 20 x 2/3 throttle runs from a stand still for 5 seconds then decelerate to a stop. Switch off and cool engine.
- 20 x full throttle runs from a stand still for 5 seconds then decelerate to a stop. Done!

Nice and simple. Truck is still running 10 years later. I remember half way through the full throttle runs something 'happened' and the truck went mental and started popping wheelies and flipping over onto it's back like no tomorrow. I guess that was the magic point at which the piston properly sealed and the little puppy was ready for some thrashing.

Last edited by Fallout; 12-02-13 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-02-13, 02:27 PM   #17
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
Nice and simple. Truck is still running 10 years later. I remember half way through the full throttle runs something 'happened' and the truck went mental and started popping wheelies and flipping over onto it's back like no tomorrow. I guess that was the magic point at which the piston properly sealed and the little puppy was ready for some thrashing.
Lmfao, mate you're nuts
Old 12-02-13, 02:34 PM   #18
Fallout
Mega Poster

Too much time in front of this screen mate. Tis slowly driving me mental.
Old 12-02-13, 02:57 PM   #19
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'm 27, no accidents, no points, car licence for 10 years. Everything else is pretty dreadful as far as insurance is concerned. New bike licence, living in London and the bike is going to be kept outside. Honestly if I can get insurance on the happy side of £1000 I'll be delighted!
make sure you check out soho massive group section! we meet every friday of the year pretty much, there'll be someone there who'll greet you with open arms!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 06:06 PM   #20
SvNewbie

Thanks Chris, will definitely check it out. Half tempted to come along before I get the bike just to ogle the other SVs

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Crash bungs where indeed first thing on the list. Are the R&G ones significantly better than the OEM offering? According to the Suzuki site the price is as close as makes no difference and I think it would be easier to get them to fit the OEM ones.
Any opinions on OEM vs R&G crash bungs?