SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes 24 34.78%
No 36 52.17%
Keithd 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-14, 07:39 PM   #11
ethariel

Default Re: The Org Scottish Referendum

Absolute NO
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 07:51 PM   #12
JulesW

I'm English and love Scotland and Wales. For reasons I can't identify I would prefer the Union to remain intact (sentimentality probably). But as an Englishman my opinion is completely irrelevant.

Scotland becoming independent has a degree of risk for Scots people but if independence becomes a reality I sincerely hope that Scotland and it's people end up much better off.
Old 10-09-14, 07:56 PM   #13
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesW View Post

Scotland becoming independent has a degree of risk for the whole of the UK
Corrected for you.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 08:05 PM   #14
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
Corrected for you.
A far larger degree for Scotland than the rest.

Yes loss of oil revenues would be a little disruptive in the short term but only a little and after a few years could easily be compensated for. In raw numbers they're big but not compared to the budget as a whole.

Scotland on the other hand has a whole host of financial issues depending on exactly what happens with currency, the military, Europe, and universities.
Old 10-09-14, 08:12 PM   #15
MisterTommyH

Why would the only risk to the rest of the UK be the loss of North Sea Oil?

The currency, national debt & military are all items which hold risk for the remainder of us.

I would certainly like to know whether the Act of Union is based on liabilities being Joint, Several, or Joint and Several (!)
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 08:16 PM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

This is the problem with living in a democracy. There are a few very knowledgeable and well informed individuals who understand all of the advantages, disadvantages and implications of splitting up the UK and it should be to them that our politicians should be turning to for advice on what to do. Running our country was after all what we elected them to do. It really annoys me that as soon as they actually have to make an important decision about the future of our country they defer it to the general population who know nothing whatsoever about the real consequences of their decision. It's going to be a complete disaster and I for one am going to make sure I've got some alternative options.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 08:25 PM   #17
JulesW

I doubt that even the ost knowledgeable and well informed have the foresight to really know how the chips will fall both north and south of the border should Scotland go it alone. Strikes me that it is a very complex situation and one brain just isn't enough to make an accurate evaluation. Perhaps the 'collective mind' effect of democracy is the best way.
Old 10-09-14, 09:08 PM   #18
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I very much doubt Scotland will get the yes vote. I'd be exceptionally surprised if it did.
If people honestly think their imaginary vote in the political world will count, they are like mushrooms fed in the dark. It is far too complicated and not in political interest for it to be independent.

Simple as that really.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-14, 09:12 PM   #19
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
Why would the only risk to the rest of the UK be the loss of North Sea Oil?

The currency, national debt & military are all items which hold risk for the remainder of us.

I would certainly like to know whether the Act of Union is based on liabilities being Joint, Several, or Joint and Several (!)
Because we represent approximately 90% of the population and wealth of the Whole UK.

A 10% drop at a time when were cutting back on the military anyway and when the leaving 10% WILL be taking their portion of the debt with them is not a big issue... It would have been a bigger issue if it had happened at the start of the financial crisis but not now.
Old 10-09-14, 10:14 PM   #20
Bibio
Mega Poster

what debt? national debt? then if so i'm afraid to say that Scotland has not run up any of it.

a lot of people forget that Scotland is already Devolved from the rest of the UK so we have been looking after our own budget for yeeeeaaaars. we get £xx from Westminster so we cant over spend and we have seen no extra money from this so called National debt. if you want to play the 'but what about the military etc.etc' then again Scotland pays its tax for such things. it was not Hollyrood that took us into military action against other country's it was Westminster but because Scotland is part of the UK we pay towards the upkeep of the forces via out tax.

now if Scotland were to have seen extra money over and above out budget than yes we would indeed owe towards the National Debt. but we haven't. as someone says Scotland is only 10% of the UK population so even if we are forced to pay back some of this so called debt then we only owe 10%.

if Scotland does get the yes vote then hard times are ahead for both nations.

i personally will be voting Yes but not for me but for the future of generations to come be it good or bad.

i would rather this was not happening but it is. i would rather see a proper United Kingdom where there are no separate country's, one united people with a united currency and all working for the greater good.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote