SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-05-08, 07:03 PM   #11
Stingo

Default Re: I need some thoughts - Help me .Org

So, you've got some knowledge about chemistry & biology...hmm...considered something in the NHS? Their website is very comprehensive. How about a dispensing technician in a pharmacy? Go back to college and learn how to be a speech & language therapist...very rewarding so I'm told. None of these are highly paid jobs, you've also got to work hard because it's 'real world'...but the potential rewards are enormous.

Good luck. Remember...think outside the box...it's a bigger world than you think.
Old 19-05-08, 07:13 PM   #12
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Cant give any advice on jobs,but dont just leave the RAF without having planned what to do.Leave positively to go to something else or not at all.
Old 19-05-08, 08:10 PM   #13
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Cant give any advice on jobs,but dont just leave the RAF without having planned what to do.Leave positively to go to something else or not at all.
Indeed. Very right.

Cheers for the advice. Ill deffo be making a comprehensive plan. I think the NHS thing is a good idea for something to look into! Cheers for that.

About the well paid bit. TBH anything around ?20k id be well happy with. Thats pretty much what I need to be fairly comfortable... Would one of those Drug technitians be able to earn that amount?

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 19-05-08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 19-05-08, 08:23 PM   #14
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
I know... But you don't have to go out of the country for 4 months... they are talking or are I hear putting it up to 6 months. Its this that is bothering me most. I don't know how ill cope tbh. not very well...

WTF, boo hoo, how do you poor crabs cope?? its 6 months standard in the Army. geez you lot dont know you are born in those blue uniforms.

I do the same thing as you but in the Army and have pretty good contacts in the Civi Comms world due to my post at the moment there are a couple of agencys that will snap up ex forces.

A good thing to do for resettlement (depending on how long you have served ) is CCNA CCNE etc,

Network management is more usefull and beter paid than engineering it.
Old 19-05-08, 08:47 PM   #15
Tim in Belgium

Have you thought about becoming a control systems engineer, the type used in chemical plants and factories? The last service engineer we got sent was an ex RAF man. Pay could be quite good I'd imagine, especially with the odd stint of offshore work, and varied (if you worked for a supplier), but would likely involve quite a lot of travel.
Old 19-05-08, 08:50 PM   #16
Ed

I have no idea how the forces work. Isn't there someone you can talk to to tell them that it's not what you expected and ask for a change? Or is that an admission of failure? Seems quite drastic to leave.
Old 19-05-08, 08:58 PM   #17
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I have no idea how the forces work. Isn't there someone you can talk to to tell them that it's not what you expected and ask for a change? Or is that an admission of failure? Seems quite drastic to leave.

yes there is, well in the Army there is a list of vacant posts that are undermanned in each corps. You are entitled to ask to change trade at anytime. Its up to the recieving corps if they want you though .

RAF might be a little diferent. But you can also transfer to the other services. But given his reluctance to do more than 6 month tours, the Navy is out of the question and the Army tours come around quicker due to whole regiments deploying rather than individuals like the majority of the RAF.
Old 19-05-08, 09:16 PM   #18
Stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Indeed. Very right.

Cheers for the advice. Ill deffo be making a comprehensive plan. I think the NHS thing is a good idea for something to look into! Cheers for that.

About the well paid bit. TBH anything around ?20k id be well happy with. Thats pretty much what I need to be fairly comfortable... Would one of those Drug technitians be able to earn that amount?
Click it...

http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/
Old 19-05-08, 09:18 PM   #19
appollo1
Mega Poster

How long have you been in the RAF? Is the unit you are at, at the moment your first posting? How far away are your family from where you are? Why not try to get a move closer to where your family lives? Are you married? If yes what does your wife say ?

Have you talked to anyone about how you are feeling? Your friends, boss, family, SSAFA, Padre etc, are all good points of contact and will help you.

As for going away, boo hoo, what did you think would happen when you joined up? At least your selfish attitude means that if you manage to get out of going away for 4 months then someone will have to take your place. Probably a married person who will go away over christmas and be away from his/her children and family.
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-08, 09:27 PM   #20
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by appollo1 View Post
As for going away, boo hoo, what did you think would happen when you joined up? At least your selfish attitude means that if you manage to get out of going away for 4 months then someone will have to take your place. Probably a married person who will go away over christmas and be away from his/her children and family.

i have to agree with that actually. We all sign on the line and know we wil have to go away.

That said the forces is not for all, some people just dont like being away, and fair enough. But they shouldent be in the forces really.

That said from what i have seen the RAF on tour d get it the easiest and are looked after. My last tour was attached the the JHF and it was more like a holiday than work.

My advice go on tour you will like it i promise, you make friends and bond with the lads with you like no other job on the planet.

BTW,Appollo1 St andrews,RAF Leuchers by any chance??

Last edited by neio79; 19-05-08 at 09:29 PM.