SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-17, 06:13 PM   #11
DomP

Default Re: New brake lines?

Next question- what colour do I go for? My bike is a stealthy pearl nebular black with a bit of a blue colour accent going on (it's got the blue sv650s badge, blue adjusters on the brake and clutch) so thought blue could look good or may be black or titanium?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 17-05-17, 01:58 PM   #12
aesmith

Since we're talking brake lines, what were the relevant changes (if any) during the pointy lifetime? For example HEL lists different kits for K3-K5, K6-K8 and K9 to L12.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 04:04 PM   #13
DomP

I was wondering this looking at the CPRracing ones as they list several for pointys but as far as I know they are all identical except a few anomalies on the K3

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 17-05-17, 05:48 PM   #14
aesmith

Could just be that they added them to the catalogue at different times, without twigging that he later models are exactly the same. Cobra seems to be completely up the spout, listing a kit for "Suzuki SV650 SK9-SK13 faired 2006-2008" which is completely contradictory (not to mention the fact the the 2013 model is L2, not K13).

Regarding Cobra, I'm a little suspicious that they seem to be significantly cheaper than Hel. Anyone tried them yet?
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 06:24 PM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

if the lines are in good condition and not bulging or cracked then upgrading to braided will make no difference, its placebo.

let me try and explain, unless your old lines are bulging under pressure (very doubtful) then it makes no difference to the pressure of the fluid that acts like a solid when you pull the brake lever. people that say ''i fitted braided lines and the brakes are great now' more than likely had a problem with the braking system to begin with and a fresh fluid/pad change is what has caused the brakes to 'be better'.

its all marketing bull to part you with your cash.

a well serviced braking system is the secret not fancy lines. ok so i'll admit that i have some very nice venhill lines on my bike but thats not for performance its for ease of servicing as i can disconnect them from the banjo without taking the banjo bolt out and back flush or pressure flush the calliper if i need to. they are still one down and one over setup.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 08:58 PM   #16
Tamsen Cooper

Hey,

I went for HEL braided brake lines, and of course I made a video about it

One watch out though, the HEL set came with 2 sets of banjo bolts, I hadn't noticed but it turns out they were different pitch threads, my advice would be compare the bolts to the ones you take out and just make sure they are the same... had to get the Chris at Southwest motorcycles (great bike shop down here by the way) to help me re tap the callipers... it was a tense time... lol!

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

I went for the race setup. I also spoke to one of the guys from HEL at Silverstone, nice down to earth guy that seemed genuine, whilst I know that doesn't impact braking performance, it is nice to know you are supporting a decent UK firm. (As is Venhill)
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 09:29 PM   #17
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I have fitted Hel and Goodridge brake lines in the past and they are both excellent quality but be careful of Placebo affects and confirmation bias.Sometimes just the fitting of new lines also means that more care has been taken to service the brakes back up to an excellent standard.

Brakes can be like the,"New Clutch Effect" e.g things that degrade slowly and then when they are renewed they is a massive boost/wow factor to feel.It's the old,"Wow,that's how they are supposed to feel"

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

I'm still on what are most likely the original 1999 rubber sleeved brake lines and my stopping power is about 3 times better than my old Honda CX500s.
I have however got fresh Dot4 brake fluid(Wilkos,dead cheap) in all the brakes,serviced and greased all pins and made sure they float-true.
ACF50'd the piston seals and coated all lines and bolts etc with it as well and a little bit of dielectric grease on the nipples for good measure(I also use it on the threads of the bleed nipples as it helps stop any electro-chemical reaction between the steel nipples and alloy of the calipers and can help prevent nipple corrosion/seizing).

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 17-05-17 at 09:32 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 09:34 PM   #18
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I have fitted Hel and Goodridge steel braided brake lines in the past and they are both excellent quality and would always go with them but be careful of Placebo affects and confirmation bias.Sometimes just the fitting of new lines also means that more care has been taken to service the brakes back up to an excellent standard.

New brakes pads/brake lines can be like the,"New Clutch Effect" e.g things that degrade slowly and then when they are renewed they is a massive boost/wow factor to feel.It's the old,"Wow,that's how they are supposed to feel"

YouTube Video

I'm still on what are most likely the original 1999 rubber sleeved brake lines and my stopping power is about 3 times better than my old Honda CX500s.
I have however got fresh Dot4 brake fluid(Wilkos,dead cheap) in all the brakes,serviced and greased all pins and made sure they float-true.
ACF50'd the piston seals and coated all lines and bolts etc with it as well and a little bit of dielectric grease on the nipples for good measure(I also use it on the threads of the bleed nipples as it helps stop any electro-chemical reaction between the steel nipples and alloy of the calipers.

HTH

Note:I've been using ACF50 for over 10 years.If,"Ronseal" does what it says on the tin,ACF50 is,"Ronseal+".

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 17-05-17 at 09:38 PM.
Old 17-05-17, 09:37 PM   #19
Tamsen Cooper

I really enjoyed his video, thought he had a very visual way of describing the differences that was easy to follow.
Tamsen Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-17, 09:46 PM   #20
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamsen Cooper View Post
I really enjoyed his video, thought he had a very visual way of describing the differences that was easy to follow.
Glad you liked it Tamsen

I like YT contributors who have no agenda.I wouldn't have posted it if I thought the guy was just twittering an opinion.He's down-to-earth and most likely has some high level engineering qualifications.

Every single nut-and-bolt and wire and I mean every of my old Honda CX500s has/had been through my hands from the crank-shells up and I hope I NEVER have to rebuild a gearbox again in my life as it's worse than trying to play 3D chess whilst drunk<BFG> and even to this day I could do it but still don't really understand how they work(Gearboxes that is)

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 17-05-17 at 09:48 PM.