SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-05-06, 01:36 PM   #11
Speedy
Mega Poster

After reading the "Suicide" thread and the replies that were made,(some not ALL),it seems IMHO,that some of the comments were made just to get a reaction from someone.

In any other thread,like "BEST",where we were discussing preferred bike colour,reactionary comments can be fine,because lets face it,those threads are a laugh!

We should all treat eachother how 'we' would like to be treated.

Not everyone is going to agree with everything that is posted in/on a particular subject,that is normal,(if everyone thought the same the world would be boring,and we would never have got out from the caves and saying "Ug")
and to be expected.

As for the subjects posted,I think mostly we are adults and so unless something is particullarly bad,then there should be no need for a censor,and as Fizz and Northy have said,it IS awkward to draw a line as to what is ok and not ok,as we all have different values regarding ok-ness.

Common courtesy and respect is all it needs,BUT not taking the FUN out of things,and not PURPOSELY hurting people.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-06, 01:41 PM   #12
Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23
But when an appoligy is then shot down like peoples have been. thats out of order!
Was a damn shame to see that. I was pretty gutted

THe posts here are always full of debate, and when you have a thread in which a subject is so close to peoples hearts there is going to be a heated discussion even when 2 people have a varying opinion in which from an outside view looked to be meaning the same thing.

Just like when you may sit in the pub with your friends, a touchy subject creates touchy contributors (not touchy in a bad way).

Anonymity does increase the problem as steve w said, yet it also allows people to voice thier true opinions rather than one which would just please the ones around them, which is what makes forums (in particulary this one) such a great community.

I was very pleased to see peoples aplogies, it shows we do have repsect for one another, but then to see them shot down in flames (whatever thier motives) made me feel quite sad...
Old 27-05-06, 01:42 PM   #13
Jelster

I think, moderator or not, you're entitled to as much free speech as the next guy. There have been one or two users on here who I have clearly (and in public) been on the receiving end of my opinions. I call it as I see it, and if somebody wants to bring the site down as a means of personal gratification, I'll tell them so.

We have a fantastic community here and it annoys me when people:

A) Use it as a personal "blog" to get attention

B) Play games trying to wind people up

C) Post total inane comments that have no interest to 90% of the users

It's a bike forum, primarily for the use of SV650/1000 owners and those who "know the crowd" that are like minded but who no longer possesses said machinery (or in Jaba's case, never has.....) but who can add value to the community as a whole.

Old 27-05-06, 07:45 PM   #14
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
I call it as I see it, and if somebody wants to bring the site down as a means of personal gratification, I'll tell them so.
You must know, though, that if you consider someone a troll the worst thing you can do is respond to it? "Don't feed the trolls". First rule of the internet. If someone's seeking attention, you don't give them it. If someone's trying to provoke a reaction, they win if you react. You achieve nothing by giving them a negative reaction, all you do is give them what they're actually after, which encourages them to do it again.

An post with few responses can't bring the site down, without exceeding the forum rules to the extent that a ban would come crashing down in days. But an occasion post with dozens of ill-tempered, unpleasant responses- that's damaging.

And FWIW, my opinion? Even if GYKD (because it's blatantly him that's the main talking point) was as bad as some believe, which personally I don't agree with, the snide and repetetive responses are far, far worse. They add nothing but bitterness. Abuse is worse than irritation.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-06, 09:23 PM   #15
Jelster

Northy,

My attitude towards that particular young man has always been one of "I know you're seeking attention, so I'll make it blatantly obvious to those who don't realise it", but I haven't treated him any different to one or two others on here.

There has been times I've wanted to take action but haven't, because I knew that it was my personal feelings driving it. My point is, just because I may be a moderator doesn't mean I can't speak my mind.

Old 27-05-06, 09:32 PM   #16
Peter Henry

I am afraid that the insensitivity shown in the now infamous thread was totally disgraceful and had no logic nor compassion to it at all.

It was yet another blatant attention seeking thread which started as a joke due to the unfortunate person's predicament. To have such a callous attitude toward someone who sees no other answer for whatever troubles them was in truth against everything I believe in.

I may have missed if there has been an official action taken on this, I for one would 100% back if the person you all know I refer to, is never seen around here again.

You may agree with me or not, in truth it matters little to me on this point.
Old 27-05-06, 10:08 PM   #17
Razor

I stay out of any kind of serious arguement thread. A lot of the folk here on the web are a lttle tightly wound for me. I'm not talking about the .org, I mean everywhere. People seem to come online to say the things they can't say in public. Their own little place to exorcise their demons and work out their insecurities.

Funny thing is, biker forums are the easiest place to start an arguement in and usually have the most rules. Some of the other types of forums I use are far more anything goes
Old 27-05-06, 10:47 PM   #18
Saint Matt

Does **** me off when people think forums are a democracy and try and rebel. Havent reall seen it on here though, happens lots on the 125 forum though.
Old 27-05-06, 11:00 PM   #19
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
My point is, just because I may be a moderator doesn't mean I can't speak my mind.
Absolutely not, wouldn't say otherwise. Didn't actually know you were one of the mods in fact! Certainly you're not one of the people that I would say takes the responses too far- or at least, yours isn't one of the names that would spring to mind.

But my point is, the forum says in big letters on the front:
"3) No personal abuse please. Treat others with respect even if you don't agree with their views."
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-06, 08:06 AM   #20
Razor

http://irrepressible.info/