SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-07-05, 12:46 PM   #11
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by didge
wots cat d mean is it a type of accsident
when an insurance company writes off a vehicle because it's uneconomical or impossible to repair they have to assign a category to show the severity of the damage. Cat D is the least severe and is only superficial or easy to repair damage like broken levers and damaged fairings.
Old 05-07-05, 02:06 PM   #12
richwill68

Default Re: Should I avoid a 'Cat D' listed bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
I've been looking around for another bike for a wee while now and have come across what strikes me as the perfect bike at a good price.

Low miles, FSH and clean. There is however one concern and that is the bike is listed as 'Cat D'. Now I'm not familiar with what this is and would appreciate an explaination from someone in the know.

I was told by the owner the it was only bodywork damage so is this something I should shy away from. Also is it something that should impact the price / value of the bike?

Your thoughts and words of wisdom are welcome.
Bought my SV as a Category C (recorded on HPI) and never looked back. A few cracks in the fairing, a clutch lever, minor scuffs. Nothing major. 1800 miles when I got it and only paid £1700! Not a bad deal in my onion! And it is only my onion, if you want one, get your own!
Old 05-07-05, 02:16 PM   #13
didge

ahh i c thanx
Old 05-07-05, 02:17 PM   #14
didge

w8 so would cat a b like the most severe?
Old 05-07-05, 02:19 PM   #15
minky

Quote:
*n0d5*
Old 05-07-05, 02:20 PM   #16
Carsick

Quote:
Cat A should be completely removed from the road and I think destroyed.
Cat B should only be sold to a breaker to be split for spares, I think.
Old 05-07-05, 02:21 PM   #17
Flamin_Squirrel

Cat B is when the vehicle is too badly damaged to ever go back on the road, but has salvagable components.

Cat A is the most serious - the vehicle is utterly destroyed and nothing is salvagable. i.e. if your bike burnt down, or you threw it into a river.

I think.
Old 05-07-05, 02:22 PM   #18
didge

ahh i c ok i get ya
Old 05-07-05, 02:28 PM   #19
kwak zzr

i had a cat c kwak zzr 600 hence the name,it was a great bike i just never found out what had happened to it? i found out it was a cat c when i part exchanged it for my sv trouble is the dealer offered me £2000 before the hpi check and £1000 after the check! i sold it cash for £1350 and told the new buyer(thats **** loads of 155mph bike for 1350) THE THINGS WE DO TO GET AN SV(pointy of course)
daz(midlands)
Old 05-07-05, 04:06 PM   #20
BURNER

I got a cat D SV, no problem as it's hopefully going to be a keeper. Next bike I'll buy without selling the SV. Always good to have one bike that you don't owe any money on.