SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-07-08, 04:31 PM   #11
Razor

Default Re: High Viz clothing

respro stuff works well, if you don't want to look like a copper or road worker you can fit the bike with their black diamond stickers. They're black by day but silver reflective by night. I stuck some bits on my fairing and tail piece and by day they're black as a crow's bumhole.
Old 22-07-08, 05:30 PM   #12
sv-robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Hey chaps,

Any ideas on the best high viz wateproofs around to go over my leathers?

Matty
Yep,but they say lancashire county council on the back!
Old 22-07-08, 08:39 PM   #13
northwind
Mega Poster

Even if you subscribe to the "no point" argument- and me, i think it's ridiculous- there's always the question "what happens if you crash". That's what got me wearing hi-viz in winter, half of my commute is unlit so if I bin it, the bike goes one way, I go the other, and suddenly I'm a black shape on a black road (or perhaps worse, a black shape in a black ditch). I would like to be not driven over in that situation, or found if I'm in a mess at the side of the road.

Most of my stuff was from JJB Sports, they often carry industrial-type hi-viz in winter. Proper 3m glass bead reflector tape and flouro cloth. DON'T buy bike specific, it's all s*** (except for Respro, who do some good stuff). Yellow with shiny stickers does not equal hi viz, I think this is part of the reason people are prejudiced against it, too many have seen or used awful stuff. The real thing jumps out like the sun, the 3m reflectors are more visible under a car headlight than your tail light is.

People get hung up on railway grade, don't... Mainly what that means is it's designed to tear off, so the vests have weak seams or velcro'd joins, like a chippendale's trousers It doesn't mean it's any better, or more visible.

Here's my favourite, my hi-viz fleece

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pitstoplk7.jpg

IT BURNS! IT BURNS! It's also dead warm, and fairly waterproof. Also, the arms give it huge visibility. That was on a rideout in scotland in february, lovely and warm

Respro Hump is good, it's a rucksack cover with excellent reflectives. i think there's an active one, ie light-up, as well. Proper pushbike shops have lots of interesting viz wear, though it does tend not to be cheap.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-08, 10:15 PM   #14
embee
Mega Poster

2 aspects to the question, hi-vis and waterproof.

When I was wearing leathers (since switched to textile) I used Flexothane overjacket and trousers from http://www.niton999.co.uk/

The do stuff which is specifically cut for bike riders, the trousers have "knees", and the jacket has collar cut to suit wearing a helmet, various drawstrings etc.

Yes it's expensive, but it works very very well on the bike.

They do either Scotchlite (smooth look) or Reflexite (diamond look), Reflexite looks flashier but I doubt it actually has any real world superiority, both are ultra-reflective.

Main thing is that the Sioen Flexothane is brilliant stuff, totally waterproof but breathes so not "boil in the bag" as one supplier describes it, and it is stretchy which makes it much more suitable for riding a bike. I've had pvc oversuits which are also totally waterproof, but may as well not be because you get soaked in sweat condensation.

I wondered about the one piece Flexothane coverall from http://www.psf.co.uk/

I still wear hi-vis, but now with a waterproof goretex suit I use a mesh hi-vis overjacket from Halvarssons, again very expensive but a different quality league from the usual workman's stuff, really very well made from high quality materials, and nice and breezy in summer. (Did I say expensive?)http://www.jofama.se/motorcycle_wear...=2&id=50&cid=5
Old 23-07-08, 07:25 AM   #15
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
People get hung up on railway grade, don't... Mainly what that means is it's designed to tear off, so the vests have weak seams or velcro'd joins
+ 1, it is designed to be torn off if caught by a passing rail vehicle (my old man works for Network Rail). As Northwind said, you don't want to be lying on the road after an off in the dark and not be seen!
Old 23-07-08, 10:41 AM   #16
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
3 people working on a bike, & Northy doing heehaw
Quote:
ITRespro Hump is good, it's a rucksack cover with excellent reflectives. i think there's an active one, ie light-up, as well. Proper pushbike shops have lots of interesting viz wear, though it does tend not to be cheap.
My issue with that is it's designed for cyclists who are always being overtaken, so need to be seen from behind. I tend to be the one doing the most overtaking so my concern is people in front of me being able to see me IMO.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-08, 11:38 AM   #17
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
my concern is people in front of me being able to see me IMO.
A reflective vest/coat, and trousers will solve that problem.
Old 23-07-08, 11:45 AM   #18
Razor

y'know if they can't see you, they can't target fixate and run into you, food for thought.
Old 23-07-08, 01:04 PM   #19
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
3 people working on a bike, & Northy doing heehaw
I believe i was saying "I don't know much about pointies. Is that a "fuel injection" there? Cool!" then a little while later after I found a part I recognised and "If this was sparking, I would have just given myself a painful electric shock, so I reckon it's broken."

For being seen from the front, something with sleeves will help, the fairing and screen does block a bit of a vest but it still leaves a fair bit visible too. Bright coloured helmet helps a lot too, just look at Sid Squid.

Embee's links all look brilliant incidentally... I'm happy enough with my gear, mainly because I don't care if I lose it or damage it, but I'm quite tempted by some of the Halvarson's stuff now.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-08, 01:17 PM   #20
Grinch

I use a Respro waist coat in the winter, Jax has followed me and said its amazinly reflective, though its getting long in the tooth now so will probably need replacing. If it works, it works, if not then no mater, I don't ride any different with or without it on.