SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-12-14, 06:55 PM   #11
Nutsinatin

Default Re: New SV650 owner

Best thing for the braking is to sort the front forks out with fresh oil and weight matched springs, and emulators if your budget reaches that far. This stops the diving and makes it more stable on the front so you can actually use the brakes hard. Braided lines give more direct feel as well along with fresh brake fluid. A strip, grease and rebuild of the calipers will have them working great and EBC HH pads are the icing on the cake. I was happy with that setup for all but fully loaded two up riding where they lacked a little power.
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-14, 12:06 PM   #12
CarlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike_Nutter View Post
Welcome to the club.

I'm still rather new on here myself and suffer with the sloppy forks problem being 14 stone and over 6 foot.

I'm tagging into the thread to find out the cheapest and quickest way to get the forks to not dive so much when using more than gentle braking, and I hear so much about braided hoses doing wonders for the very average brake set. Doing the job myself would be out of the question I think. I can do basic servicing and have overhauled brakes, but anything to do with the forks seems daunting to me.

What is the cost of a fork upgrade and brake hoses being fitted?
Actuallt you shouldnt be aftraid of some learning by doing. At least I enjoy spending some time in the garage to get away from the family and in case I get angry I can threw the screwdriver or whatsever in my hand on the floor or at the walls and have some language like an good old pirate. My manager (both @home normally called wife and the one "work) would never allow such behaviour. Back to your statement. If you have some place to be it is not as hard as many of us think and you for this kind of work can do your own maintenance and most of it can be done with ordinary tools. If you want to do things I first recommend to buy Haynes manuals. Really easy to follow and also "graded" how difficult the work actually are. Then just take it cool, do it one step at the time. When working with brakes the most important step is the last one when you need to ensure that there are no air in the brake fluid left after assembling and refilling, it's not complicated just need some attention and accuracy. Else might lead to very unwelcome surprises .
Old 17-12-14, 06:17 PM   #13
Snatchers

Thanks for all your messages guys.👍
Picked it up today very happy! Its not been started for 18 months I put a battry on it it started on the third turn wow that's impressive. Needs a bit of work new top fairing, left hand mirror, fork seals,cracked left hand rear panel and has a very slight twist in the rear sub frame ow and need the scratches polished out the tank. That should keep me busy for a bit. Not sure if I'm going to keep it blue though, thought about going black and white will have to see when it's finished will have to start putting up the pics as I go 👍👍
Old 17-12-14, 10:02 PM   #14
Snatchers

Default New SV650 owner

Thanks for all your messages guys.👍
Picked it up today very happy! Its not been started for 18 months I put a battry on it it started on the third turn wow that's impressive. Needs a bit of work new top fairing, left hand mirror, fork seals,cracked left hand rear panel and has a very slight twist in the rear sub frame ow and need the scratches polished out the tank. That should keep me busy for a bit. Not sure if I'm going to keep it blue though, thought about going black and white will have to see when it's finished will have to start putting up the pics as I go 👍👍
Old 18-12-14, 04:52 PM   #15
Bike_Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlH View Post
Actuallt you shouldnt be aftraid of some learning by doing. At least I enjoy spending some time in the garage to get away from the family and in case I get angry I can threw the screwdriver or whatsever in my hand on the floor or at the walls and have some language like an good old pirate. My manager (both @home normally called wife and the one "work) would never allow such behaviour. Back to your statement. If you have some place to be it is not as hard as many of us think and you for this kind of work can do your own maintenance and most of it can be done with ordinary tools. If you want to do things I first recommend to buy Haynes manuals. Really easy to follow and also "graded" how difficult the work actually are. Then just take it cool, do it one step at the time. When working with brakes the most important step is the last one when you need to ensure that there are no air in the brake fluid left after assembling and refilling, it's not complicated just need some attention and accuracy. Else might lead to very unwelcome surprises .
I did a complete strip clean and replacement on my old bike, my beloved Vara 125. It wasn't so hard, it was the forks I was more concerned with.

If you fix something at home and it doesn't work, so what? You fix your bike and you do a bad job.....you get hurt, that's what worries me. I'd be happy as a pig in brown stuff if someone wanted to show me how to do it one day, biscuits, tea, tea and a large kebab as payment after, hint hint!