SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

South & West Surfers Just for the guys and gals in the south and south west of the UK.

Old 10-03-05, 09:41 AM   #11
Mogs

Looks as if someone should go up there, have a look around, find a good spot and report back tomorrow.

Who could do that? Yes, me on my way home.
Old 10-03-05, 11:46 AM   #12
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs
Looks as if someone should go up there, have a look around, find a good spot and report back tomorrow.

There's a couple of lay-bys north of that roundabout on the A470.
Old 10-03-05, 12:25 PM   #13
Ceri JC

Quote:

Mogs, if you could do that and post your findings early the 'morrow, that'd be tops.
Old 10-03-05, 05:16 PM   #14
valleyboy

You can stop on the side of the roundabout.. its pretty big.... so as you come up the A470, stay in the left lane, go PAST the turning for Aberdare / Mountain Ash etc... and pull in to the side before getting to the Merthyr turn off.... keep your bikes well in to the left.... and they should be out of harms way... sadly, any lay bye's before this roundabout are a very big effort for me to get too.... as there isnt a roundabout between Ponty and Abercynon.... so it takes some time...

BUT.. if its easier, theres a Petrol garage about 3/4 of a mile before the roundabout... we could meet up there ??? There use to be a little chef there.. but thats now something else... I still need to go down to Ponty and back.. but at least you can stop somewhere a bit safer.... Other than that... Keep on going up the A470 past the roundabout, and pull in to the first lay bye along there.... That way, I will come down the A470, and back up a tad to meet you there instead of going through the **** end of my valley!
Old 10-03-05, 05:24 PM   #15
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy
You can stop on the side of the roundabout.. its pretty big.... so as you come up the A470, stay in the left lane, go PAST the turning for Aberdare / Mountain Ash etc... and pull in to the side before getting to the Merthyr turn off.... keep your bikes well in to the left.... and they should be out of harms way... sadly, any lay bye's before this roundabout are a very big effort for me to get too.... as there isnt a roundabout between Ponty and Abercynon.... so it takes some time...

BUT.. if its easier, theres a Petrol garage about 3/4 of a mile before the roundabout... we could meet up there ??? There use to be a little chef there.. but thats now something else... I still need to go down to Ponty and back.. but at least you can stop somewhere a bit safer.... Other than that... Keep on going up the A470 past the roundabout, and pull in to the first lay bye along there.... That way, I will come down the A470, and back up a tad to meet you there instead of going through the @rse end of my valley!
Which would you prefer, lay by or garage? I dunno what the roundabouts like, but I reckon one of the other 2 would be better- even with near perfect traffic/whatever there's likely to be at least 10 minutes where someone is waiting for someone else. Also, if someone is delayed for 1/2 and hour, I'd rather chat with the other person at a garage where there's a bit of cover/choccie bars and pasties, than dodge cars going wide on a roundabout

Cheers,

Ceri
Old 10-03-05, 06:07 PM   #16
valleyboy

Petrol garage it is then...

is there a specific route we will be taking from there on ??

Ive found a new play ground I would like to share if anyone wants me to show them

It involves a short stint down Glyn Neath bank... lots of twisty roads... a nice long stretch of straight road... it eventualy comes back out a few miles from the storey arms... turn left to continue on to Breacon, or turn left to take you to Storey arms... but its not 1000 sheep road.. much longer this thing is! Found it by accident the other day by turning the wrong way! at night.. with just about enough petrol for the journey!
Old 11-03-05, 08:55 AM   #17
Mogs

Went up the roundabout last night on the way home - it is big, but I don’t think us stopping on it would be very wise, cars may get away with it, but 4 bikes! I knew VB would have the answer, but I need only the tinyest excuse.

What used to be a Little Chef at the Petrol Station is now a Curry House. If you live in Aberdare and fancy a curry you’ll have to drive all the way to Ponty and back, can’t see that place lasting very long.

I found another lay-by on the old road (A4054) just past the graveyard.

The Petrol station is probably the best choice especially if we have to wait, my bikes low on fuel anyway so I fill up there, thus I'll have max range.

Ceri set a time?
Old 11-03-05, 09:16 AM   #18
Mogs

If we're going for the Test rides etc. at

Black Mountain Yamaha
Llanwenarth Citra
Llanwenarth
Crickhowell
Powys
NP8 1EP

its here the map shows a pub opposite, perfect 'cept we cant drink.

Our route is obvious, up to Brecon on VB's latest discovery then down the A40.
Old 11-03-05, 10:28 AM   #19
Ceri JC

Quote:
If we're going for the Test rides etc. at

Black Mountain Yamaha
Llanwenarth Citra
Llanwenarth
Crickhowell
Powys
NP8 1EP

its here the map shows a pub opposite, perfect 'cept we cant drink.

Our route is obvious, up to Brecon on VB's latest discovery then down the A40.
I agree with the route idea, From the meeting point, VB can lead us off to his new road (will that take us near Abergavenny?) to by storey arms, then weather/time permitting we can decide whether to trog further into Brecon, or head south and home.

Just want to gauge people's opinions on going to Abergavenny for the test ride:

My own is that I certainly wouldn't mind popping in for a looksee, perhaps as a "break" in the middle of the ride. At the same time though, if it's miles out of the way and the roads are not much fun (I've only be to 'gavenny in the cage and that was a few years back), I'd rather spend the time having a good ride round Brecon.

Meeting Time:

Shall we say meet at the petrol station at 10.30? Is that too early/too late? Just for clarity anyone know the "type" of petrol station (eg is it an Esso?). As for going home time, shall we leave that open till the day?
Old 11-03-05, 11:07 AM   #20
Mogs

I'm okay with 10.30am see you there

Texaco it think!