SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-08, 02:43 PM   #11
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: Safety Cameras..... Safety my A?$e

As far as I am aware Saftey Partnership speed cameras are not allowed to work covertly,they must operate where camera signs are displayed at a pre set distance from them. The police seem to have laws to themselves
Old 21-04-08, 02:49 PM   #12
Mogs

I think the Horsebox must have been quite spacious. Perhaps they could try a wheelie bin next.
Old 21-04-08, 02:52 PM   #13
BillyC
Mega Poster

Was this it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7358372.stm
Old 21-04-08, 02:56 PM   #14
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC View Post
Thats the one - well found

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-08, 03:26 PM   #15
BillyC
Mega Poster

It's a really great example of how safety cameras cause accidents... the cars were built for the speed... the road conditions in all of those crashes were excellent (clear straight road, good visibility etc)... but the reaction to not being caught "speeding" has caused an accident.

That is unacceptable.

I wouldn't mind if it were a police car tailing someone and pulling them over - fair game... but to have caused that distruction by a simple distraction really is pathetic.

... and it's the drivers that get in trouble - and no questions asked about the police methods.
Old 21-04-08, 03:31 PM   #16
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC View Post
It's a really great example of how safety cameras cause accidents... the cars were built for the speed... the road conditions in all of those crashes were excellent (clear straight road, good visibility etc)... but the reaction to not being caught "speeding" has caused an accident.

That is unacceptable.

I wouldn't mind if it were a police car tailing someone and pulling them over - fair game... but to have caused that distruction by a simple distraction really is pathetic.

... and it's the drivers that get in trouble - and no questions asked about the police methods.
somebody with some sense
Old 21-04-08, 04:12 PM   #17
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

If that bike was doing 137 then i'm a monkeys uncle! The car that comes round the corner just after it is going just as fast, the rider is sat almost bolt upright as well!
Old 21-04-08, 04:42 PM   #18
skint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
Yeah, saw this as well. Was quite interesting how they were apparently concentrating on "dangerous driving", mentioned off the cuff that speed was only a factor in a third of serious accidents and then went back to wittering on about speeding drivers/riders. Lets forget about the two thirds caused by muppets driving with their eyes closed, half an inch off the backside of the guy in front, chuffing down quarter pounders whilst programming the sat-nav and talking on their phone.

So wheras the concentration was apparently on "dangerous driving" over here we weren't actually doing anything of the sort.
In all fairness they did feature a van driver putting a pullover on and a woman on a mobile phone. Unfortunately if you break the law you'll get done and pay a fine. If you don't break the law you won't get done or pay a fine (usually)

What a little I am.
Old 21-04-08, 05:39 PM   #19
shifter

I nearly went into the back of someone once, It was on a 60mph road, they where doing 60, I was doing 60, then they saw the camera and stamped on their breaks down to 30. Because they where doing the speed limit I assumed they new what it was.
Old 21-04-08, 05:57 PM   #20
rick0361

I think the worst thing is going to be these new average speed cameras that check you over a period and issue tickets based on that.

All the cat a%$e that is being talked about them being trialled is just that, They have had them on the approaches to the M1 at Sheffield for ages and through all the road works round junction 31 for ages as well.

It is all about taxing by stealth and not having the cojones to say so.