SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-07-06, 08:51 AM   #11
northwind
Mega Poster

I don't like riding in front of other riders... If they're inexperienced, I don't want them copying my bad habits, and if they're experienced I don't want them watching me I know they probably don't care in the slightest, but it doesn't matter, I don't react well to being watched at anything.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 09:28 AM   #12
Lou M

It is horrible having someone behind you. Keith says that he doesn't watch me, but I just feel that he is and get paranoid.
If any other bikers catch me up, I pull to the inside and blip my indicator to signal them to go past when they're happy - that seems to work well.
Old 19-07-06, 09:38 AM   #13
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Riding with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Am i being unreasonable?
Possibly, but we really can't decide at a distance.
If you're not happy you're not happy, that's all there is to it - no right or wrong about it. If it were me though, and in your position of being a relative newcomer, I'd like someone to tell me that there isn't only one way to ride a bike, just 'cos it isn't how I'd do it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Ride your bike, when you get more experienced you'll perhaps find that there's something that you can learn from everybody's riding - even if it isn't immediately obvious.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-06, 09:56 AM   #14
Jelster

You don't have to ride "closely" to be riding together. I often ride with people of various capabilities and sometimes, on a longer ride, we may spread out with maybe 10, 15 even 30 seconds between us. It doesn't mean you're not "riding together", you're just riding for yourself, but as a bunch of mates.

We still stop at the same places, fuel up, and take breaks together, but we're just not always riding in a close pack, and to be honest, on some roads I'd prefer not to be...

I also find that my mate that also has a 'Blade rides it very differently from me. He likes to not use the breaks at all, using the torque and engine braking, while I prefer to accelerate hard, brake hard, dive into the bend and bang it out hard again. We're of similar speed but I guess I use more fuel than he does

Old 19-07-06, 11:39 AM   #15
Mogs

You could both join the the local IAM group and do the Skills for Life course. They will correct any bad habits, build up your confidence and you will certainly get used to someone scrutinising your ride.
Old 19-07-06, 11:43 AM   #16
jambo
Mega Poster

I feel you may be being just a toutch harsh, you're clearly judging your boyfriend's riding (and have decided that you disagree with some of the things he's doing), But want to make sure that he doesn't watch or pass judgement on yours?

Life's a 2 way street and as many people have pointed out, there are many ways of doing a similar pace on a given road, just because hs is diferent doesn't make it wrong.

Do your own rides, ride at your own pace and try riding with others so you get a cross section of styles. Remember that when following on the road it's up to you to give enough space so if he does brake hard for no apparent reason (Note this is completely different to no reason at all due to the diferent views you have of the road) it's not a problem for you to slow down or stop safely behind him.

Chill out, enjoy your time together and find a way of riding that you both enjoy, this may well change as you get more experiance
Old 19-07-06, 11:05 PM   #17
Tina

Thankyou for all your replies, each one had helped me lots.

I think we should discuss our riding together to find ways
of complimenting one another.
we have a long ride over to Ireland soon so i'll keep you
posted on how it went!!

xx