SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-09, 12:19 PM   #11
Geoffrey

Default Re: Bad Warranty and service

bearings are consumables, unless they fail within a short time frame a warranty claim will be refused.
Old 10-05-09, 12:21 PM   #12
Marcus

I'd DRINK Doncaster baths for £90!
Old 10-05-09, 01:17 PM   #13
gazza

Default Bad Warranty and service

If bearings are consumables then why is my gearbox being fixed under warranty by Suzuki because of a gearbox BEARING failure. I have no problem with Suzuki customer service but is it really worthwhile to Suzuki to have someone who will never buy another one of their products again and tell everyone else they know why. As we all know a lot of bikes do not have enough grease on the head races from the factories so i think these should be repaired by the bike manufacture under warranty.
Old 10-05-09, 02:13 PM   #14
thefallenangel

because a gearbox bearing is lubed up because of the oil and shouldn't fail as the bike is properly serviced. Headrace bearing is a bit different although after 2 years shouldn't need doing at all i will be honest coz if mine need doing i'll be going nuts as i can't wheelie to save my life.
Old 10-05-09, 02:22 PM   #15
Sosha

2Years is poor imo, Badly landed monos, cart tracks & jet washes asside.
Old 10-05-09, 04:11 PM   #16
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Two years or ten years, it doesn't matter a jot - how many miles is the salient question.

If very low miles then there is the obvious suspicion that they weren't correctly adjusted, (either from new or subsequently), however if the mileage is higher then they simply could have suffered from the specific conditions of their use.

PS Anyone suggesting a parallel with a gearbox bearing displays their lack of understanding of how this stuff works.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-09, 04:45 PM   #17
BournemouthBen

Bearings are consumables at the end of the day, so i guess they probably wouldn't fall under the warranty. There will be a disclaimer somewhere. My knowledge of consumer rights and duty of care are a bit loose!

However on a side note...

General maintenance, like checking the condition of bearings shouldn't just be ignored until the bike is serviced. Checks are meant to be done regularly.

It shouldn't be taken for granted that the bike will look after itself in between pit stops. Im not assuming you dont care for your bike, its just a side note. No offence intended!
Old 10-05-09, 04:50 PM   #18
BournemouthBen

Found this in my travels, its worth a peep.

http://www.devittinsurance.com/assets/pdf/buying-motorcycles-know-your-rights.pdf
Old 10-05-09, 05:56 PM   #19
custard

ave heard that they dont generally get packed with enough grease at the factory.
Old 10-05-09, 07:44 PM   #20
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Id say headraces should be replaced under warranty unless they have failed due to damage like that caused by wheelies or hitting road debris.The warranty period is two years but it seems in this case the bike is out of warranty anyway.
I had a wheel bearing replaced under warranty on a ZX6R because it just wore out(no grease)and I would expect a head bearing to be a similar case.