SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-02-05, 04:21 PM   #11
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
Never, ever use a torque wrench for undoing stiff nuts unless you want to use it as a doorstop afterwards. A torque wrench is for limiting the torque applied to prevent overtightening. They do tend to be long but it's not to make it easier to pull on..
I did say that. However, if it's a reversible one- ie it can torque reverse thread bolts- as this one is- it should be able to loosen any bolt that's within its torque range without being damaged- the stresses are exactly the same.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-05, 05:37 PM   #12
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Just a thought but if the chain is broken, how are you going to hold the sprocket still while you attempt to undo it?

Normally I assume that you would have stopped everything going round by putting the rear brake on.
You can wrap the new (or old) chain over the sprockets to hold it...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-05, 07:50 PM   #13
Balky001
Mega Poster

Curium, hope you had better luck than me, the brake wasn't strong enough to hold the whell from turning and I couldn't get enough leverage on the t-bar to unlock to sprocket nut, even with a bar through the wheel to stop it turning. I think someone went a bit heavy on the thread lock - unless its a reverse thread. Does anyone know if the thread is normal i.e. clockwise to tighten?
Old 18-02-05, 09:38 PM   #14
curium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001
...unless its a reverse thread. Does anyone know if the thread is normal i.e. clockwise to tighten?
This is why everyone should own a Haynes Manual.

Yes it is a reverse thread.

I have just purchased a 2 foot long breaker bar from Halfords, just need to get a deep 32mm socket and I'm good to go. I'll see if i get any joy as is before wrapping the chain around and putting a piece of wood through the wheels. For some reason I'm very reluctant to put things through the wheels as it wouldn't have been designed to accept forces in that direction but we'll see.
Old 18-02-05, 10:38 PM   #15
Mike1234

Always found it useful to stick a block of wood or another breaker bar between the spokes of the wheel to ensure the wheel wouldn't turn.
Old 19-02-05, 01:44 AM   #16
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by curium
The gearbox sprocket? No, it's the right way round, it's just wound up tight and it's threadlocked too.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-05, 10:16 AM   #17
curium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
The gearbox sprocket? No, it's the right way round, it's just wound up tight and it's threadlocked too.
I'll hold fire until I can get home and consult the Haynes but I swear it stated that it is a left handed thread and that if you over-tighten it you risk loosening something at the other end.
Old 19-02-05, 10:55 AM   #18
Balky001
Mega Poster

Mine was the normal thread, I've got a GSXR but I would have thought Suzuki wouldn't swap threads around on each model. I've also got a Haynes manual and it didn't mention it but someone said it might me left handed so gave me some doubt. But I got it off, putting it in first gear helped (tip from Suzuki dealer). So all OK except I found the mecanic who did loads of upgrades but said he didn't put a 15 tooth front sprocket on actually did!!!! I knew the Power Commander & dyno couldn't have made that much difference but as speedo is taken from the front sprocket not front wheel, top still showed the same. so there we go, all that work just so I could clean the inside of the sprocket cover, you have to laugh (oh, and the sprocket markings were put facing the inside of the bike so I couldn't see them until they were off) All good experience though
Old 19-02-05, 11:37 AM   #19
curium

OK. I was wrong

Just phoned Crescent and their mechanic said it's a conventional thread.
Old 19-02-05, 11:37 AM   #20
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'll hold fire until I can get home and consult the Haynes but I swear it stated that it is a left handed thread and that if you over-tighten it you risk loosening something at the other end.
As the output shaft has nothing else threaded on to it, I'm not sure what you mean by this, the other end is plain in a bush in the case, and the pinions are splined or plain on the shaft.

The clutch nut is on the input shaft, is this what you mean?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote