SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 09-02-05, 01:46 PM   #11
DaBlackKnight

Is it Worth Doing if:....
I consider my self a gd rider and been told i am for my age (not being up on myself)...i am 23 years old and can comfortably ride 2 up and keep good safe pace with a blackbird....my uncle taught me A LOT about ridding safely in all aspects....prob why i am as good and safe as i am today...

also had police instructors ask me when i did my gold level..i was like "uh..gold?!what"..they were very surprised when i took my hemlet off to find i was a male and only 22 years old at the time....

So if i am ridding to a good safe standard, the only benifit would be is to get the offical bit of paper to get the cheaper insurance....
Is it worth the price, time, effort of doing the course and do you get a suitable de-duction on insurance to warrent doing the course in 1st place?
(took me a min toget that sentance reading right- thats if it does read correct..lol)

DBK
Old 09-02-05, 06:33 PM   #12
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

everyone can learn... But its good to know theres someone out there thats 100% perfect!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-05, 09:41 PM   #13
Anonymous

yes i think it would be good for you to do. you would be amazed how many people consider themselves good riders and they come along to the iam on their fancy bikes and look down their nose at those on gpzs but come back at the end of the night much more humble as the gpz has kicked their **** up and down the road
Old 09-02-05, 11:09 PM   #14
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

i have tended to notice that on the ride outs its the IAM riders who are at the front (not all of us r mind you) and the fact people comment about us not using brakes!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 09:37 AM   #15
DaBlackKnight

Noticed that a lot as well.....
that the guys with the best bikes and gear do not translate into the best riders!
By no means am i a great rider....
I would prob get my ass kiked off a gpz500 as well!!
in the straights, yes i would win.....but that not my style and you kind of miss the point!...
Been getting better at using less brakes and more smooth constant speed or just using engine braking....but i am still learning about bike physics...i know what a bike can do and the theory for it....a diff thing doing it though...i have a chip inside my head that just says "nope..no more black knight" - prefer fair to be safe than sorry.....thats why i have never binned my bike or dropped it etc...do not know if thats a good thing....some say your not a true biker unless you have had a crash or had to bin it cuase you have not pushed yourself hard enough or some kinda macho thing like that...i am glad i have not crashed....saves money and the body!!!...lol

there a specific website/info for the one you go to guys?
Just depends on the price and time its on at...

DBK
Old 10-02-05, 10:47 AM   #16
AlanSv

I think its only £75 to join and that includes the test.

So think about the value for money....

A club based theory session. one evening every month (2 hours or so)
A observed ride once a month (3 hours)
and unofficial additional observed rides if observers are available (any weekend/evening)

So in 12 months you're getting at least 24hours of theory refresh and 36 hours of practical review and advice

thats 60 hours for £75, which works out as £1.25 an hour! Thats serious value for money!
Old 10-02-05, 11:15 AM   #17
Cronos

I've been telling myself that I'll join up to IAM this year, only problem is whether to go with the Glasgow or Edinburgh lot. As I live in Edinburgh and work in Glasgow.

Anyone on here a member of the Edinburgh IAM as I already know a couple of the Glasgow lot and they're pretty dodgy characters!
Old 10-02-05, 04:50 PM   #18
Anonymous

oooh glasgow is the best. we had quite a few come from edinburgh because they give you a time limit as to when you have to sit your test.

it took me longer than most to get to test standard so got my monies worth

i went to 16 observed runs (most people do it in about 10-12) the wednesday nights start at 630 and during the summer did not get home till midnight. then sunday runs once a month meet at 1030 not normally home before 6pm usually about 300 miles covered.
Old 10-02-05, 08:25 PM   #19
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

yes do explain it again, i might even listen this time
dirtydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 09:03 PM   #20
scooby2102

Richard writes...
Quote:
do they have any type of advanced training in Britain for the cager's.
It has always been my feeling that if you drive a motor car. Part of the test should include riding pillion on a motorcycle. Because motocyclist do not get any respect or leeway from cagers.

Spot on mate, would give the cagers a little sample of the many a**holes out there on the road who dont really give a sh^te about motorcyclists safety.

Have only been riding for approx 16 months and have only clocked up around 6000 miles but have had a few scary moments at the hands of mostly dozy old bast**ds who at junctions look right, left right again, get eye contact with them, they definitely see me coming (headlights on and all that !), then what do they do, yep, the ****s just pull out in front of me anyway.

Just as well I received good defensive riding training on the course.

Cheers Richard
Scooby2102