SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-12-10, 12:39 PM   #11
Specialone

Default Re: How do Asda do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_69 View Post
Give it time they are planning on opening 10 large store and 20-30 small store ever year for the next 3 years
If we as society dont do something quickly all we will have on our high streets is large supermarkets.
I heard the other day that 20 odd planning applications have been put in for large supermarkets in the bham area.
In five miles radius from me i have about 10-15 very large stores, do we really need any more?
Old 28-12-10, 12:50 PM   #12
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
If we as society dont do something quickly all we will have on our high streets is large supermarkets.
I heard the other day that 20 odd planning applications have been put in for large supermarkets in the bham area.
In five miles radius from me i have about 10-15 very large stores, do we really need any more?
Already happening in Ipswich, already have 2 giant tesco's, another one past planning permission for the centre of town, a big Asda, a big Sainsbury's and a Co-op superstore, all within a 10 mile radius.

Plus of course all the mini superstores, and Aldi's & Lidl's to boot.

Luckily I'm in Felixstowe, so only Morrisions & Co-op and a small Tesco's, but Tesco wanted to build a mega store, which would have killed off most of the trade in an already struggling town centre. More coffee shops and charity shops than anything else.

Support your local butcher, the meat from our butcher is far superior to the supermarket stuff, pumped full of water and carp.

Huge breasts, well what I mean is that 2 chicken breasts from him, replace 4 from the supermarket.

Last edited by maviczap; 28-12-10 at 12:51 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 01:08 PM   #13
DSGMATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Nearest Waitrose is about 50 miles away. for some reason there are non out in the sticks. We are overun with flipping tesco, morrision and asda. But nothing decent.
Nearest to you is 22mls - Formby Branch
DSGMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 01:28 PM   #14
peterco

Tim, have you not tried Booth's

http://www.booths.co.uk/store-finder

Your in Preston area ?
I was in a Booths in Kendal last year and liked the store(good Deli counter).

pete
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 01:41 PM   #15
allantheboss

You could alternatively hunt your own pig for breakfast?
Old 28-12-10, 02:24 PM   #16
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGMATT View Post
Nearest to you is 22mls - Formby Branch

Thanks Matt, I had assumed it would have been somewhere in Cheshire or Alderly Edge way .

You have to agree though our local Asda is carp, priced and stocked for the Brookers who take their trolleys home with them. Pizza and curry counters yet no butchers, tasteless chickens at 2 for 6 quid etc.

I definitely get the feeling, they stock cheap and tasteless. Quality has been sacrificed on the alter of consumerism.
Old 28-12-10, 02:26 PM   #17
timwilky
Mega Poster

Aye booths is good, especially the cheese. (Love Blacksticks from there only place locally with a decent cheese counter). Was there on christmas eve
Old 28-12-10, 03:37 PM   #18
husky03
Mega Poster

support your local butcher and buy from the farmers markets-your only paying a wee bit more for a whole lot more taste.The supermarkets are gradually trying to eradicate the small food wholesaler.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 03:56 PM   #19
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Already happening in Ipswich, already have 2 giant tesco's, another one past planning permission for the centre of town, a big Asda, a big Sainsbury's and a Co-op superstore, all within a 10 mile radius.

Plus of course all the mini superstores, and Aldi's & Lidl's to boot.

Luckily I'm in Felixstowe, so only Morrisions & Co-op and a small Tesco's, but Tesco wanted to build a mega store, which would have killed off most of the trade in an already struggling town centre. More coffee shops and charity shops than anything else.

Support your local butcher, the meat from our butcher is far superior to the supermarket stuff, pumped full of water and carp.

Huge breasts, well what I mean is that 2 chicken breasts from him, replace 4 from the supermarket.
Within the boundaries of Halifax with less than 10 miles between them there are 2 large Tescos, one small, Sainsburies, Asda, Morrisons, Aldis, 2 Lidl's, you only have to go just outside the boundaries of Halifax to find a bundle more, they're all standing on each others shoulders for business.
Peg works nine miles away in Bradford....far too many big supermarkets between here and there.

I go to Costco every now and again, I can get bacon and the sort from there for Asda scumprice money(if you break the bulk price down), but much better quality. Butcher on site so at least its fresh.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-10, 04:04 PM   #20
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I tried to buy ham from Sainsburys recently and failed. Everything, including the deli counter, was either formed or reformed - and having done a spot of research, now refuse to buy either.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote