SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-12-04, 02:41 PM   #11
Grainger

As it sounds like the 3rd party was liable, you should contact their insurers and demand a replacement bike immediately. If they drag their feet get your own insurers to arrange and then they will claim it back (although you oughtn't to need to involve them really). As soon as you are costing the insurers a daily rental rate for the bike they will make things happen surprisingly quickly (and you'll have a bike anyway).
Keep any travel receipts/tickets in the meantime - you can claim for all of that too. Get a medical report from your GP on your injuries - there is a claim to be made there also.
Old 03-12-04, 06:18 PM   #12
bluebell

Hope you make a speedy recovery and that your claim don't take to long to sort out.
Old 03-12-04, 08:18 PM   #13
mac608

I had fully comp insurance plus legal protection. the bike was sorted within weeks (thats what you pay fully comp for). Then the "fun" started with the solictors appointed by my insurers, who quite bluntly were a waste of time. It took nearly two years for the case to settle and I think it would have been longer if I wasn't on the solicitors back at least once a week.
The other effect is you may "lose" your no claims bonus until the third party is proven guilty. And try and get those excess premiums back!!!

Oh and I had a witness and the third party admitted they were at fault, it was the third party's insurers who dicked around. My original claim for leathers helmet etc was around the £1k mark, but because of the way the third party insurers messed me around I added everything possible and ended up with around two and a quarter thou, plus the cost of repairs. Note I did not have any personnel injury otherwise they would have been looking at a VERY large claim.

So I would advise that you make sure your insurers appoint a solicitor who handles bike claims, mine didn't.
mac608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-04, 10:52 PM   #14
SV Stu

Thanks mac608, very usefull info there. I have all ready been pushing the legal guys, as i thought i needed to keep things moving. I am insuresd with Bennets, and i think that the solicitor I have been appointed has experience in motorcycle claims.I also have a witness and the other person addmitted that they were sorry as they did not see me.

I think i will keep every one informed with my progress as it unfolds, so any one going through the same type of experiences can perhaps use any info i can pass on . Thanks for all your kind responses so far guys.
Old 14-12-04, 06:57 PM   #15
SV Stu

Have had the inspector round to check out the damage to the bike, and he seems to think that it will be a right off. So according to the policy of Bennett’s, I should be getting a new replacement (only applies to new bikes with an age of under 6 months old). I will have to pay the excess, and will have to start a new policy, and on the assumption that the third party insurance company accepts liability, I will get a refund on the unused time left on the old policy, and any extra I will have to pay on the new policy which will be more expensive with a pending liability. Also the excess will be refunded.

Hoping to be back on the road for Boxing day
Old 14-12-04, 07:07 PM   #16
rukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBONES
I had my "accident" (kid chucked a skateboard at me!)

now I've heard it all!!! what is going on!!!!
Old 14-12-04, 08:39 PM   #17
Stig

Default Re: SV smashed by car pulling out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Stu
Anyway my question is, has any one had any experience with legal protection, as i was fortunate in adding legal protection on top of the standard comprehensive insurance, and how long roughly people have had to wait to have their bike put right.
The bike is an SV650S and is only 2 weeks old.
Two of my accidents went via this route. In my experience it has been a long and drawn out affair.

Normally when third party are at fault and they accept liabilty, fine. You can claim against them straight away and get your bike back on the road or a cheque for a new one.

If you go through the legal way, it really messes things up. Even thought third party accepted liabilty, I had to wait MONTHS to recieve money for the bike. I had the option of a courtesty bike also, but only if I paid up front and then reclaimed my expenses. Had I just gone through the insurance I would have had a replacement bike the next day and at no cost to me.

That has been my experience anyway. It was nothing but hassle all the way through the claim. One of which I am still waiting for compenstation. That was 2 years ago.
Old 14-12-04, 10:27 PM   #18
AlanSv

Stu that happened to me, with bennetts and a 4 month old bike.

The price of the bike had dropped since I bought it, so I took the money, bought one new, and kept about £400 quid extra )
Old 14-12-04, 11:55 PM   #19
bobbydee

Quote:
Silly, when people see danger they stop. If he could have continued he should have kept on going and not stop. Even so that is so silly to pull out onto the road without being able to see people comming because of the bus.

I know you might call me a stupid car driver (i am getting my DAS this weekend), but since i passed my CBT (two weeks ago) in readiness for the DAS, i have noticed myself looking all round as much as possable before doing anyting and also doing lifesavers before i move lane, most importantly i seem to notice bikes much easier than before and from quite a distance behind and front. Its as if i am a biker already.

Had to responed to this. This is so bloody correct, people including me at one stage who drive cars havent got a pigs tit clue about what goes on on the road. All they see is the glass infront of them (the windscreen) and the odd blur motions that happen beyond it. I mean you all will know being riders, How many times have you been behind some F+*@kwit in car knowing that they are gonna slam on there brakes and quickly do a right hand turn without even checking there rearview mirror or more important there side mirror. Pi+@##es me right off. I even had one guy when i was over taking him doing 25mph suddenly put his foot down so i couldnt get back in. So all I did was stay alongside him waving at him to speed up some more. In the few seconds that followed he looked infront of him to see a nice big fat double decker bus. Laugh!,, I nearly bought my own beer. So, brakes locked on, skidded and nearly totaled his car. I reckon before you allowed to drive cars you must get a bike licence and have riding time of upto a year. That way these blithering idiots that sit in there crappy cars will know what observation really is. My friend was the same, he slagged of bike riders (of course some 2-wheeled wonders are tossers, ie pizza blokes) cause he was a car driver. Now he is on the bike he can see the things that he used to do in other car drivers... Now car drivers that ride bikes, they are cool, as they know how to look and see the dangers because they know whats what..Wow thats the longest post I have ever done. Tell ya thou! Car drivers, I sh@t`em...

Hats and Lids off to ya TSM, your so right...
Old 15-12-04, 12:54 AM   #20
Rich Curtis

Stu -

These guys were at the NEC - not sure if any good but may be worth a look if your getting nowhere fast

http://www.whitedalton.co.uk/home.htm#