SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2007 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2007 SV650.org's bigger & better annual rideout.

Closed Thread

Old 22-06-07, 10:20 AM   #11
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: I am having doubts

more chance of a fill up on AR route I think. Also don't want to be in a situation like Dalesman last year when our guide round there took us on a ride to tanhill and broke down, on a harley, in a village with no phone reception or a toolkit. fortunately nice village shopman helped out. No chance of callout in a hurry though, really was the back of beyond. I like bimbling my bloke don't, but hey ho. A weekend away is wot i'm looking forward to.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
Old 22-06-07, 10:22 AM   #12
Tomcat

vinney you have removed your post? Why, you made some good points

Old 22-06-07, 11:53 AM   #13
jambo
Mega Poster

I really do feel the need to post on this. The A65 is a rather small part of the ride out, a small run along it from the campsite in the morning, and then a little bit at the end to get everyone back fairly easily. The roads in between are, IMO a nice blend of twisty fun, with great views of the dales and places to stop & regroup.

While 4 of us were covering 600 miles of local roads between us in a day we found some really "taxing" and "interesting" roads, none of which were suitable for a 60 bike event. This is a ride that's got to be for everyone, if people who've been riding less than a year will be likely dropped off the edge of the road, into the front of a Landrover or into a dry stone wall, guess what, we didn't include it.
The time for consultation on the route was between February and the start of this month:
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=83439
There isn’t a single post in there from yourself, so we were not able to assess a route that you submitted.

Deepest apologies if this is confrontational but I think a lot of people have tried really hard to make this work, and to make out before it's started that they've messed it up and missed an opportunity, I feel is a little unfair.

Finally the key to not loosing anyone on the ride out (pretty much Priority 1) is that we can count bikes in and out of stops. If you are going to appear and disappear, please make absolutely sure the back marker knows when you are, and are not included in the headcount!

Jambo
Old 22-06-07, 10:50 PM   #14
Tim in Belgium

Baaaahhh...

Old 23-06-07, 07:58 AM   #15
BernardBikerchick

teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tim we're going throughgigggggggggggglllllllllleeeeeeswick you HAVE TO COME then i can snog u again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 23-06-07, 08:53 AM   #16
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Baaaahhh...
... humbug or baahh black sheep?

Old 23-06-07, 10:53 AM   #17
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Guys,

Whilst personally I would have gone for a route that makes the best use of the roads we have available in the area. N/S peeps know what I mean. I have two personal issues.

1) I am in my own backyard. I feel from previous posts that there is a discipline as to how I will be expected to ride and with the collective, leaders, markers etc. Whereas I would prefer to simply ride at my own pace and meet up at set points.

2) this is my major issue. The use of the A65. I hate it. Too much double white line, tractors, trucks, queues, tourists, plods.

The overall route chosen is only a couple of hours out. We have a day. I am not a fast rider, but I do enjoy spirited riding. I am not sure that I would accept the discipline of riding with a large group.
tim, why did you not come up with a route when it was first posted? it seems that peeps from london had to go all the way up north to sort out a route, which would have been a bit of a headache?

the N/S was ace, probally a bit tricky for 50+ bikes, but people with local knowlage did not seem to be intrested in helping out with the route, so to complian now seems unfair.

Old 23-06-07, 11:59 AM   #18
TEC

Will admit the A65 is never a good road but its a necessary evil when you consider where the camp site is, but you will only be on it for a short distance in the AM as the ride out starts and then about 15 miles back at the end of the day, 20 miles out of a 110 mile route isn't that bad
Old 23-06-07, 12:02 PM   #19
timwilky
Mega Poster

Let me make it perfectly clear as to why I did not post a route.

I was under the impression that the ride-out was to have been the Lake district, whilst I have ridden there a number of times. I am not by any means knowledgable of the best biking roads of the lakes (Beyond the obligatory Kirkstone and beyond . Additionally I was under the impression that a number of individuals who I very much respect had offered to produce routes and I would bow to thier superior knowledge.

Suddenly the route is published and it is no longer the Lakes but the Yorkshire Dales and not at their best.

OK. Enough stirring from me. I will make my decision at the time
Old 23-06-07, 12:05 PM   #20
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Suddenly
I DON'T THINK SO.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Closed Thread