SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-06, 04:57 PM   #11
northwind
Mega Poster

The engine alone is worth more than that, assuming it goes. But it's definately a gamble.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-06, 05:05 PM   #12
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Can you inspect it and hear it running?It does'nt look like it's had a heavy impact as the bodywork is'nt smashed and the gear/brake pedals seem intact.You need to look closely at the front wheel/forks and the lockstops on the headstock.Also,has the bar end hit the tank?My guess is that it's worth a punt.
Old 26-05-06, 12:55 PM   #13
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws
Ive got that (thank you runt!!) but im still not sure if structural damage means frame/forks???
Ouch!! I've been flamed

Anyway, there's an article in Ride that may be of interest to you about buying and repairing a crash damaged SV.

Oh, and if any dealers have their eye on that bike in the auction, they'll be able to buy it at a higher price since they can sell it for a high profit (either fixed or broken into spares).
Old 26-05-06, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Quote:
Ive got that (thank you runt!!) but im still not sure if structural damage means frame/forks???
Ouch!! I've been flamed

Anyway, there's an article in Ride that may be of interest to you about buying and repairing a crash damaged SV.

Oh, and if any dealers have their eye on that bike in the auction, they'll be able to buy it at a higher price since they can sell it for a high profit (either fixed or broken into spares).
All cat c means it is unechanomical for repair so it could be any thing, as its not front end damaged i wouldnt expect the forks to be bent. unless there is a bad dink in the wheel,

rear subframe might be twisted though..
Old 26-05-06, 01:13 PM   #15
Paws

Cheers guys, decided we are gonna go for it , got someone who can check it over and see if it straight or not soo il let you guys know in the next few weeks! (it goes up for auction 17th June)
Old 26-05-06, 04:20 PM   #16
philipMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
Quote:
Ouch!! I've been flamed

All cat c means it is unechanomical for repair so it could be any thing, as its not front end damaged i wouldnt expect the forks to be bent. unless there is a bad dink in the wheel,
Why? What if he shunted into something? If it was the forks, just throw on some radial Gixxer jobbies, and you are upgrade modding.

TBH, the bike looks very nice to me. Whats the milage? Definately get your mate over to give it a butchers, but, you might do well out of it.
Old 26-05-06, 04:53 PM   #17
Paws

Mileage is: 6977, not bad seeing as its a 52 plate??
more i look at it, the more scuffs etc i THINK i can make out..
Can is scuffed(doesnt bother me as itl have a race can on), left hand mirror missing, right hand indicator hanging off,front mudguard nneds replacing and i THINk theres a scuff on each side of the tank, looks like the crash bungs did there job...But if you add up all the parts that need replacing PLUS labour, you can see why its a cat c...
Old 26-05-06, 05:06 PM   #18
philipMac

Quote:
Mileage is: 6977, not bad seeing as its a 52 plate??
more i look at it, the more scuffs etc i THINK i can make out..
Can is scuffed(doesnt bother me as itl have a race can on), left hand mirror missing, right hand indicator hanging off,front mudguard nneds replacing and i THINk theres a scuff on each side of the tank, looks like the crash bungs did there job...But if you add up all the parts that need replacing PLUS labour, you can see why its a cat c...
Yup. Looks like they did.

Go and look at it twice, during the day when the sun is out. Scuffs and broken plasticy bits are things are fine.
Look really closely at all the welds, chk for any rusting or hairline cracks there at all.
Old 26-05-06, 05:11 PM   #19
Sloth

Damage to both sides suggests it has been sliding then hit something that would not move such as a kerb and flipped over. These frames are pretty bomb proof but if you get chance to view it before you bid on it then look for signs of cracking or discolouration of the coating around the headstock, having said that they are not expensive to have jigged (£120-£250max) but you would have to invest a lot of time in totally stripping it to have it done. Don't be misled by the condition of the plastics, look at the harder stuff, check the front wheel and bottom of the fork legs for damage, this is a sign of a hard sliding impact that could realign the headstock. Having said that, everything is cheap and readilly available for a pittance off e-bay.
Also check the engine, when these go over oil can get into the cylinder above the piston and cause all sorts of permanent damage, you should really remove the plugs and crank it over before starting it after a spill that left the bike on its side for any length of time.
Chances are the bike will be ok, insurance companies work on a 66% value, if it costs more than 66% of its current value to fix then they will pay out and write it off. The repair costs will be from a suzuki dealer with all new parts and £60 per hour labour, replacing everything with a scratch on it! Cat D = cosmetic - panel damage, cat C = cat D with a brake lever!
Cheers Rich

If you need a swinging arm get in touch
Old 26-05-06, 05:23 PM   #20
falc

Will just have to go along on the day and have a go, could you pm the location of this sale or post it. Not interested in the SV dont worry just a spare motor for a possible project