SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-03-10, 07:07 PM   #11
husky03
Mega Poster

Default Re: My New SV650 Won't Start! HELP!

sorry your right-never had my battery with enough juice to turn the engine over but not start it -i bow to your superior knowledge
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-10, 07:08 PM   #12
toby_smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Sorry, missed the plug bit in your OP

The optimate can give a battery a clean bill of health when the battery is toast, but if yours is turning the engine happily it sounds fine

Has the bike sat unused for a while? If the fuel in the carbs has gummed up you may not be getting fuel through into the chamber, can you smell unburnt fuel after it's turned over for a bit?
Hi mate,

There is a smell of fuel a bit yeah, and also it backfired (is that the right term?) once after trying for ages so that says to me that fuel is getting through, but I may be wrong.
Old 30-03-10, 07:10 PM   #13
toby_smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
welcome to the .org.

is it a yellow one they never normally cause trouble a naked would of looked better too

check for spark and fuel and get back to us, try calling the previous owner see if he knows any special trick to starting it, like mine doesnt start unless you hold the clutch in a special way.
No it's black, could be the problem! I'l spray it yellow tomorrow and let you know if it helps
Old 30-03-10, 07:10 PM   #14
simesb

As it is sparking on both plugs, I would check the fuel pump. No pump would still give you a bit of a petrol smell, but not enough to get the engine to catch. Maybe.
Old 30-03-10, 07:14 PM   #15
toby_smith

PS I'm in manchester if anyone wants to come and fix it for me
Old 30-03-10, 07:31 PM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

When you took the plugs out were they wet?

If the bike has been sat for a while before you bought it the fuel in the bottom of the float bowls can go off and gum up the pilot jets (I'm sure we've posted about this somewhere else recently) which won't help when you go to start it. You can try a spray of easy start into the intake and see what happens, that's usually a quick way to a diagnosis (if it fires up you know it's fuel).
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-10, 07:34 PM   #17
Rob969

I had a similar problem with mine after it had sat for a while over winter. in the end i tried starting the bike with no choke or throttle a couple of times then left it for half an hour went back tried it again and it started but died instantly, did it again with a little choke and it started and ran fine. Only thing i can think of was i had to much choke and the engine got a little flooded. Don't know if you've tried but it worked for me. oh and mine's a black curvy too.
Old 30-03-10, 07:34 PM   #18
toby_smith

What is confusing me though is the fact I saw it running only last week. It fired first time with no problems when the guy showed me it!
Old 30-03-10, 07:35 PM   #19
toby_smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob969 View Post
I had a similar problem with mine after it had sat for a while over winter. in the end i tried starting the bike with no choke or throttle a couple of times then left it for half an hour went back tried it again and it started but died instantly, did it again with a little choke and it started and ran fine. Only thing i can think of was i had to much choke and the engine got a little flooded. Don't know if you've tried but it worked for me. oh and mine's a black curvy too.
Tried it mate. Tried leaving it for a couple of days and going back again
Old 30-03-10, 08:08 PM   #20
Huwbee

There was a post recently where there was a problem with the Kill switch can't remember who by but they suggested the switch may not be connecting correctly and to try and cure it by flicking it on and off a few times then trying again.