SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-11-14, 01:45 PM   #11
SvNewbie

Default Re: Speed with Guy Martin CH4 now!

Glad this is back on. Great series, if people are serious about improving the British manufacturing industry get more of this stuff on the telly.

Watched the tandom cycling one last night. At times it was tempting to think they weren't exactly living up to the capabilities of the machine they built. But then I realized how unpleasant 500 miles is by motorcycle, and you don't have to pedal!
Old 03-11-14, 08:49 PM   #12
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
I love these shows but was a bit disappointed with the last bit, there should've been more footage of him actually riding the bloody bike, maybe a mix of onboard footage of the whole race, obviously edited down a little bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
+1 sp1, love all he does but a bit more road filming would have been great.
By contrast I was disappointed there wasn't more on the building and development of the bike.

All we got was, in effect, "he bought this bike in the back of the van" then "he gave it to a place to get a turbo fitted" I don't even recall mention of what the donor motor was (GSXR1000 I guess by appearance?) Fabrication, dyno, suspension setup, before/after spec. comparisons etc.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-14, 09:13 PM   #13
maviczap
Mega Poster

It isn't perfect, but compared to anything else that's on, its bloody fantastic.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 07:57 AM   #14
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I just read his autobiograghy.Theres more about it in there,the bike,not the actual event which hadnt happened when he wrote the book.Lots of stuff about his road racing which is quite entertaining.
Old 04-11-14, 08:34 AM   #15
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

So bloody boring, we switched it off and went to sleep!!
I can't understand the appeal. Watching some successful bloke with a Lincolnshire accent bore me to tears.... I wonder if he still drives around in a posh car, whilst pretending to be a commoner?

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 08:35 AM   #16
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
By contrast I was disappointed there wasn't more on the building and development of the bike.

All we got was, in effect, "he bought this bike in the back of the van" then "he gave it to a place to get a turbo fitted" I don't even recall mention of what the donor motor was (GSXR1000 I guess by appearance?) Fabrication, dyno, suspension setup, before/after spec. comparisons etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
It isn't perfect, but compared to anything else that's on, its bloody fantastic.
Totally agree - was looking forward to hearing what the bike was, technical details etc and then seeing more onboard etc - it was still hugely enjoyable but definitely aimed at the Guy Martin fan more than the motorcycling in general fan...
Old 04-11-14, 10:46 AM   #17
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post

Yeah, this one was unfortunately a bit short on detail. What is the level of competition in that category if Guy can go out on a broken bike and come first? They didn't say much about what the bike had wrong with it. They said a fuel valve wasn't flowing enough fuel, which I assume is layman's terms for the fuel injectors weren't big enough. Surely that would have been easy to find out on the dyno, which they surely did before flying it out there as it was clearly running a fully programmable ECU.
Old 04-11-14, 11:09 AM   #18
NTECUK
Mega Poster

It might have failed in the rough crossing Could have been the rail pressure to the injectors

Last edited by NTECUK; 04-11-14 at 11:11 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 05:03 PM   #19
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Never mind the bikes, how hairy is he, he make our Zig look like a little new born piglet. He'll never get a part on TOWIE with all that nipple fur going on!
Old 04-11-14, 05:29 PM   #20
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Hopefully he will take a sorted bike back one year