SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-06, 05:25 PM   #11
philipMac

Default Re: Just got my first motorcycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipMac
Really? Nothing?
So.. everthing else being similar, there is no differance between an Akro and suzuki stock in power?
No, not what I said, as we all know the standard can is whisper quiet - which demonstrates how well designed it is, even if you abandon all efforts at silencing it's really hard to improve much upon it power-wise - and between all others, there is an infinitesimally small amount.
All 'race cans' are a perforated tube in a pretty wrapper (Stainless/Titanium/Carbon/) of your choice. It is fair to say that differences in the length or diameter of said pipe *might* change the characteristics of the motor slightly, however just about aftermarket pipe available, for any given bike and certainly the SV, is as near identical as makes no difference. Also the can that XYZ maker sells for the SV is the same can as they sell for umpteen other bikes too, only changing the end plate such that it is suitable to physically fit, ie clamp on plate, three bolt fitting, four bolt fitting etc etc.
Ah. Right. Ok, so, essentially all race cans are very similar, whether they are Akro/Remus/Scorp etc etc. I think I knew this more or less.

And, they might all be (uniformly) very slightly better wrt performance than the pipes that Suzi bolt onto the SV on the way out of the factory. I thought it gave you a little boost. maybe a couple of horses without any tricking around at all. Apparantly not.

I see.
Old 25-07-06, 05:31 PM   #12
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rider

Shame you didn't get it in the fastest colour though!!!!
Shame u didnt either
Old 25-07-06, 05:54 PM   #13
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Umh.. new bike, new rider. Without wishing sound like a patronising old fart. Personally I wouldnt bother with trying to get anymore go out of your SV. The 70 odd bhp is more than enough for a new rider. Go out and invest in a good set of crash bungs before you do anything else ( unless you've already got them )

If you want a can, Forget about the performance boost. It'll be naff all. For price sound and looks wise. Have a look at the Carbon Can Company exhaust they were going on ebay for £110 while ago.

If you have a bit more money to spend, IMHO cant go wrong with a Remus.

As others have said the Poly26 bellypan looks good. As does the Suzuki OEM one.

HTH enjoy your new bike.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-06, 05:59 PM   #14
philipMac

Yeah. Fiz is right.

You are much better off spending the money on making the bike handle well, than eeking out a few more HP.
If it handles well, and makes you feel confident, you will go quicker soon enough.

Having said that, going quickly is not at all what you want to be getting up to at the moment. Any muppet can open the throttle. If you can roll relaxed nicely and smoothly through corners though, then you are Mr Cool.
Old 25-07-06, 06:10 PM   #15
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Also the can that XYZ maker sells for the SV is the same can as they sell for umpteen other bikes too, only changing the end plate such that it is suitable to physically fit, ie clamp on plate, three bolt fitting, four bolt fitting etc etc.
Of the half dozen or so people on the AR who asked me if shortening my can had cost me power, since it wouldn't be tuned right any more, all but one had an interchangable slipon
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-06, 06:13 PM   #16
socommk23

id say stuff it...sounds sooooooo good with a beowulf can on it! and well priced too!

be hard to beat with the sound ya get outa it!
Old 26-07-06, 01:29 AM   #17
Ice-Is-Scary

Yeah performance isn't a big deal to me seeing as the bike is about 100% faster than I thought it would be (people tell me this is a beginner bike so I assumed it was tame) I just feel like a jerk dropping a few hundred bills on something just for looks and sound but what the hey, it's my bike and my credit card debt might aswell dig the hole deeper.

So about this belly you are taking about will the OEM suzuki one bolt onto my bike or will I need to do radical modifcations/drilling/cutting/bending.

Last question. Is it possible to get dual exhaust for this puppy, I see two exhaust ports coming out of the cylinders but they just join up, does anyone make a bolt on dually? I like the looks of those perferably, symetery looks good on bikes I feel.

Thanks for all the responses guys!
Old 26-07-06, 09:24 AM   #18
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

No major adjustments required. it would hardly be designed specifically for your bike if it did need it.

Twin exhausts see http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=42328
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote