SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-03-09, 11:54 PM   #11
chompy

Default Re: Numb fingers.

hmm i wonder why mine does it some time???? maybe holding too tight, i changed my gloves a little while a go and it dissapeared but started to come back
Old 14-03-09, 12:19 AM   #12
davepreston

who's chewy where can i find him and how much are they
Old 14-03-09, 12:32 AM   #13
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

http://www.chewys-stuff.co.uk/

think this is right, although if you go on ebay Dave, you'll find some stainless bar ends that are like mine.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-09, 01:02 AM   #14
pawl

hi matey, i think you may have what is called Raynaurds Syndrome. (look it up it will make sense).
Old 14-03-09, 02:39 AM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

it's probably because you are putting all your weight on your hands. try lowering your elbows so your forearm is more parallel.

i used to get the same thing, doing what i said above helped (allot), but now i have higher bars i dont get any more numb fingers.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-09, 07:04 AM   #16
daved407

I had this problem where i first noticed it on the bike but it was happening more and more day to day. If it happens on other occasions too try researching carpal tunnel syndrome. If its just on that bike and no other then id check out the handlebar weights first. Lowering the elbows helps as does the occasional adjusting your position.
Old 14-03-09, 07:14 AM   #17
xXBADGERXx

These comments about syndromes may be a bit extreme to be honest , I had a similar problem with my mountain bike and my SV , it turns out there is a nerve that runs near the heel of the Palm and when weight is applied to it , it makes the fingers and hand feel numb . Adjusting bars etc will take the pressure away from that nerve .

I ended up putting an ABM comfot kit on the bike after securing the Org a discount on them . I also changed the bars on my mountain bike and this cured the problem for me instantly . Another solution is to grip the tank a bit more with your knees and only hold the bars as if you are holding an Egg and no tighter , takes some practice and effort in the long run though .
Old 14-03-09, 07:14 AM   #18
r1ck

Thanks for the suggestions.

Its only ever happened on the bike, and never as badly as it did the other night.

I've actually got some pretty heavy stainless bar ends on the bike at the moment, they've been on there a couple of years.

Thinking about it I got a new set of tyres fitted around the same time as i got my suspension done... i think i'll get the wheel balancing checked as a priority.

And also being my first ride for 6 months i probably was holding the grip too hard although i consciously made an effort not to.
Old 14-03-09, 08:48 AM   #19
daved407

As I said check everything else first but in my case Id been told for years arthritus of the wrists were causing it. I moved and changed GP to find it was operable and all that discomfort riding had not been neccesary. Every case can be different but present all the options and work through them to get the answer.
Old 14-03-09, 10:07 AM   #20
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

ye, everyone can be different. Usually its just a case of your holding on too tight, without thinking about it. You do it more if you haven't been out in a while. I know that in my case all the levers are set up for me, the wheels are balanced correctly etc, but I have an permanently instable shoulder joint on my left arm, and after many months of little riding, my arm has weakened, so because of the shoulder being foobarred the rest of my arm compensates for it, without me even knowing, causing me to grip harder.
I've also been on some rides recently which challenge the higher gearing on one of my SVs which reallly doesn't help. So I have got my grip thingy out again to get some strength in my hand

It works for me, but thats because I know I have a underlying problem.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote