SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-05, 09:23 AM   #11
SVeeedy Gonzales

Also bear in mind there's no limits on other factors for the U-turn... I had one at the top of a hill, unable to see oncoming traffic and another actually on a hill (about 15-20 degress) both of which didn't help U-turns evil enough as they are without sticking a slope in there
Old 18-04-05, 09:29 AM   #12
Viney
Mega Poster

TSM, i see what youa re saying, but really, the bike has nothing to do with it. Its all about cluthc n throttle control, and LOOKING WHERE YOU NEED TO GO (Sorry, thats what i had shouted at me on every U-Turn lesson, and its true

Even to this day, i'll drop a foot on the ground when u-turning, why not?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-05, 10:03 AM   #13
jonboy

My advice is to go to a car park (empty naturally) and practice (with feet extended at first) going round and round as slowly as you can till you can eventually turn the bike (through balance) on it's own axis. Much more difficult if you have the "S" but worth perservering with.

This way, any road you're asked to perform a U-turn in is a piece of cake. Plenty of rear brake and slipping the clutch aids this manoeuvre no end.

Old 18-04-05, 10:27 AM   #14
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
TSM, i see what youa re saying, but really, the bike has nothing to do with it. Its all about cluthc n throttle control, and LOOKING WHERE YOU NEED TO GO (Sorry, thats what i had shouted at me on every U-Turn lesson, and its true

Even to this day, i'll drop a foot on the ground when u-turning, why not?
Agreed, but some bikes have a tigher turning circle so you have more to play with when U-Turning if you dont happen to get full lock quickly.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-05, 08:18 PM   #15
Stig

There is no minimum width rule. That is, as has been said, why you do the walk around first. But as a rule they tend to pick a road that whilst the bike is next to the curb, you should be able to turn the bike round on full lock and be a wheels length away from the opposite curb. This is only a general guide line and is down to the examiner on the day. When I did my test I never did the walk round first either.
Old 18-04-05, 08:22 PM   #16
Carsick

Most examiners will also have a road that they usually do the u-turn on.
Old 18-04-05, 08:33 PM   #17
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy

Plenty of rear brake and slipping the clutch aids this manoeuvre no end.

Agree with Jonboy, you do not have to start your turn the second you move off, start by getting the speed right in a straight line, and then start your turn, control the speed by applying the rear brake, and do not adjust the throttle at all. Do not use the front brake as this can mess up your throttle/clutch control and Unsettle the balance of the bike. If the bike is to slow and starts to tip, ease off the brake to increase the speed. Look as far round as you can without straining (over straining will unsettle the bikes balance).

Most important part of the u-turn besides keeping your feet off the ground, is to do your lifesaver immediately before you commence your turn. Oh and don't forget to indicate right, and then indicate left when you have completed the manoeuvre before you stop on the other side of the road. Got all that Good, now go practise. Start on wide roads, practise until you have it sussed and then try again on a smaller road.
Old 19-04-05, 08:40 PM   #18
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

This is the minimum i can do a U-turn in. What do you think? Good or Bad?

GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-05, 08:47 PM   #19
Stig

That should be more than adequate. If you are asked to do a turn on a road smaller than that then the examiner is being an ****.
Old 19-04-05, 08:56 PM   #20
stevelondon1979

Agree with all said, although was specifically told not to indicate (either pulling out or in) for the U turn by the chief instructor at monstropolis in London. Maybe worth checking b4 your test?

The technique that suddenly cleared the mud for me was to counterbalance and shift your weight to the outside of the turn - simply one ass cheek to the side of the seat makes it a hell of a lot easier, and almost a necessity if it's on any sort of slope...

Ooh - and you could try if some spare practice time, getting on to full lock and going round in circles in the car park. Gets you used to leaning in at slow speed.

Only my 0.02p worth -
Good luck...