SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-04-08, 11:37 AM   #11
TheStudent

Default Re: Cleaning all around the rear wheel / swingarm / rear brake caliper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
That is normally what I would do, but I bought the bike as a bit of a project. I go it pretty cheap, but I also wanted to get to grips with maintenance etc.

Plus it was "proper minging"!! I dare say yours has never been that bad! I should have taken some before pictures too!
Yeah mine isn't too bad to be honest, but i've never really gone round it in that much detail either to check it all over properly, which i should, good for learning too like you say! I think some quality time in the garage is in order...
Old 28-04-08, 11:50 AM   #12
beaniebikerbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStudent View Post
Wooooo!? You guys do a damn site more cleaning than me!?

Normally i just clean it from the outside if you know what i mean, wash, polish, pressure wash where necessary, grease the chain etc. How often do you folks strip everything down like that? Feel bad, my poor curvy!?

ditto +1
Old 28-04-08, 02:00 PM   #13
Lozzo

Just given mine the deep clean...again - the full 'wheels off, all bodywork off' type clean.

If you're worried about the condition of the rear brake pistons, leave one old brake pad in and pump them out a little way before removing the pad and scrubbing them with a toothbrush and WD40. If you see nasty rust pits on the pistons then it might be time to replace the pistons and seals. If not, clean the dirty WD40 off with brake cleaner, dry with a clean rag and regrease the inside of the caliper with a smear of red rubber grease before pushing the pistons back and fitting the new pads.