SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-12-06, 12:34 PM   #11
thor

Vipers...
Old 18-12-06, 12:41 PM   #12
Beenz

Save you checking Triumphumphumph, Avon Azaro AV45 and AV46 are on the SV. The turn in quicker than the standard D220s.

When I hed the SV I loved them, the wear rate was about 3.5k (still had plenty of tread but went square) but they worked really well in the wet and the dry. An old work buddy suggested I try them (he has a Blackbird) as I found the D220 OEM SV tyres awfull after 3K (Baph, I guess my riding style is a lot different to yours) still had tread of sorts but total loss of confidence even in the dry.

I'm in the same situation with the Gixer thou with the same Bridgestones, my rear tyre is pretty toast at less 1.8K, tread falls off as you wheel it out of the garage. Not to confidence inspiring either especially in the cold and damp compared to the Avons. Yes I reallise that there is a big power difference but I'm not nuts on the throttle (all the time ). When properly warm in the dry they are OK though.

Having seen the Avons behave on a blackbird, SV and mac99s' zed thou I guess they should be OK for the grunt of my bike, well the winter anyway.

I'd be happy to try other tyres if suggested, it can be a very expensive mistake to get the wrong ones though. For sure I'll not be sticking (scuse the pun) with the Bridgestones in blighty. 2K out of a tyre that does not inspire confidence is a no no.

Anyone compare Avon Azaros with other tyres with 'spirited' riding? Life/grip etc both good and bad.
Old 18-12-06, 12:46 PM   #13
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz
I found the D220 OEM SV tyres awfull after 3K (Baph, I guess my riding style is a lot different to yours) still had tread of sorts but total loss of confidence even in the dry.
My 220's were on a brand new bike, first big bike for me. I ran them until they were borderline illegal (both front & back). By the end of life, the back was struggling for grip on exit of corners (which actually felt great so long as I wasn't pushing it too hard), and the front was loosing grip on entry to the corners (which wasn't so good).

If tyres lasted me 3.5k miles before a change, I'd be looking at hiring a limo to get me to work & back, because it'd be cheaper!
Old 18-12-06, 12:50 PM   #14
skint

[quote="Beenz"]Save you checking Triumphumphumph, Avon Azaro AV45 and AV46 are on the SV.

Oh,

Just looked at Triumph website they suggest BT010 or Pirelli Dragon Evo or Metz MEZ3.
Old 18-12-06, 01:05 PM   #15
Mogs

I visited the Avon factory in Melksham last spring, they did enough to inspire me to try a set. I'm usually about two rear tyres to one front. It's taken to now for then both to coincide. I'll be changing the BT020 for Vipers in Jan.
Old 18-12-06, 01:06 PM   #16
Beenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:
I found the D220 OEM SV tyres awfull after 3K (Baph, I guess my riding style is a lot different to yours) still had tread of sorts but total loss of confidence even in the dry.
My 220's were on a brand new bike, first big bike for me. I ran them until they were borderline illegal (both front & back). By the end of life, the back was struggling for grip on exit of corners (which actually felt great so long as I wasn't pushing it too hard), and the front was loosing grip on entry to the corners (which wasn't so good).

If tyres lasted me 3.5k miles before a change, I'd be looking at hiring a limo to get me to work & back, because it'd be cheaper!
Just different riding styles I guess, I don't use my bike for commuting although I've done a smidgen under 12K since last March on two wheels. If I did I'd probably have used the OEM D220s a tad more. For me the bike is a fun toy that I really enjoy riding a lot, but once confidence starts to fade in tyres they get changed. Not cheap agreed but it keeps my enjoyment level higher.

Oh remember a limo is poo through traffic, a pig to park and has an apalling turning circle
Old 18-12-06, 01:09 PM   #17
Baph

Quote:
Oh remember a limo is poo through traffic, a pig to park and has an apalling turning circle
And not forgetting the mini-bar for the commute home
Old 18-12-06, 01:51 PM   #18
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

I think B014 were a replacement for the 010's?

Had an 014(all the shop had) on the gsx14 and it was too soft( wallow) for such a heavy bike on standard suspension.

I use Avon AV45/46 on it as a compromise for grip/mileage/all rounder 3-4k. Heavy bike and lots of torque warms these sport touring tyres up fast. Keeps a nice profile for longer than the snotty stuff. Think you would be going sideways a lot on a GSXRthou' tho'.

Avon 45/46 for your trumpet then?

Cheaper than most others so you don't feel as bad razzing the s**t out of them quite as much.

Oh and the rear looks cool-as-feck. Important that.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-06, 01:51 PM   #19
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
has an apalling turning circle
Dunno about yours but so does my Gixxer.

Its horses for courses Baph. I've got two bikes. I use my SV in the winter and for commuting ( when its working ) So its got a set of Z6's on it. The Gixer is my toy so I want something different from it so hence why its got different rubber on it. Not that I can make full use of the sticky rubber on the GSXR, I'm not a good enough rider for that.

I don't want tyres on either bike that dont fill me with confidence.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-06, 01:57 PM   #20
Baph

Fizz, I agree completely about horses for courses. I purposely bought the Z6's because they're a pretty good commuting tyre. I spend most of my time doing distance, but in the summer months I'll be looking at some sort of comprimise, since summer commuting means the A543/A5/A470, winter is A55. But for next summer, I'll probably give the Z6's another shot, since I know what they're like in wet, but not dry yet (but that's entirely subject to a massive over-use of the search function prior to buying new rubber).

Apologies for the slight derail folks