SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-10-04, 12:54 PM   #11
Rich Curtis

I have had in the past (for my car) a Bel550 and now have a road angel (the older type).

To be honest I prefer the Bel, as exduker says, most of the gatso units are not working. The GPS systems cannot tell and warn you anyway. The warning method on the Bel is a lot clearer too. The downside is false alarms, you'll pick up every superstore (radar automatic doors) from 300 yards away. Probably be a big distraction on a bike.

Most gatsos are relatively easy to spot with your eyes and usually have warning signs. However in Wales at least most of the cameras are mobile laser units, unfortunately even with a detector it is difficult to react quick enough to avoid a ticket (only takes a couple of seconds for a lock with the camera being upto 1km away ).

A mate of mine has a laser diffuser on his car, a bit of kit that reacts to the laser by sending out a scrambled signal that prevents the gun getting a speed lock. These are illegal but unlike cars you'd only need one for a bike (rear plate).

The big advantage for us bikes is that all cameras can only get a bike from behind . Save your money and just keep your eyes peeled.