SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-05-07, 11:29 AM   #11
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Questions questions...(funny noise,luggage, ferry)

could well be, i'll have a listen tonight, just ordered the panniers so they'll be here tomorrow, have phoned Red Funnel ferries and they apparently "have procedures to cater for bikes" - looks like i'll be taking some webbing straps then
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-07, 11:45 AM   #12
Tim in Belgium

Had to tie mine down withh rope once, across the North Sea with P&O, not that impressed by the bike service, although the rest of the ferry, cabins and food was pretty good.
Old 22-05-07, 12:44 PM   #13
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

As your location is IOW and you're going to Middle Wallop, you'll be travelling via WightLink. Having done this many many times I imagine that, like me, you'll probably be very upset to find out that your bike won't be secured in any way whilst you're at sea, (well... Solent anyway).
On the upside I've taken both Portsmouth to Fishbourne, and Yarmouth to Lymington ferries dozens of times and never suffered any mishap. On a few paranoid occasions I've remained by the bike for the crossing, (~30ish mins), but frankly this hasn't been needed.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-07, 12:51 PM   #14
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
As your location is IOW and you're going to Middle Wallop, you'll be travelling via WightLink. Having done this many many times I imagine that, like me, you'll probably be very upset to find out that your bike won't be secured in any way whilst you're at sea, (well... Solent anyway).
On the upside I've taken both Portsmouth to Fishbourne, and Yarmouth to Lymington ferries dozens of times and never suffered any mishap. On a few paranoid occasions I've remained by the bike for the crossing, (~30ish mins), but frankly this hasn't been needed.
i was planning to go cowes - soton, up the 271 for a bit then through romsey and then 10 miles or so up the little road to middle wallop, as we used to do it when my dad had a morgan and it was very pleasant - is there any reason to go lymington to yarmouth instead?
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 22-05-07, 05:29 PM   #15
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I never take the Southampton boat, simply as it's much quicker, (and cheaper too, although I must say I haven't checked that cost in a while), to ride the length of Southampton Water than sail it.
I like going to Lymington and then riding through the New Forest.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 22-05-07, 08:05 PM   #16
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
I never take the Southampton boat, simply as it's much quicker, (and cheaper too, although I must say I haven't checked that cost in a while), to ride the length of Southampton Water than sail it.
I like going to Lymington and then riding through the New Forest.
you haven't checked the cost in a while - red funnel is cheaper, and used to be spot on punctual, now they're just so so, but still better than wightlink where if you want to sail at 2:30 you book the 2:00 boat

on another note i put another 70 miles on the bike this evening, rode around the island - the noise is still there, but tbh it doesn't seem to be causing any issues, there is a bit of oil on the inside of the lower fairings at the back where they join, but i think that's coming off the chain, the automatic lube thingy is set on 9 right now, i'll turn it down to 6 or so and see what happens - i think if the engine where falling to bits it'll be making noise when i rolled off the throttle as well as when it's on, and probably a lot more of it too
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 22-05-07, 08:31 PM   #17
the white rabbit

Oh....I didnt realise we were talking IoW ferry
Old 23-05-07, 08:36 AM   #18
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
...where if you want to sail at 2:30 you book the 2:00 boat
I never book at all, just show up on a bike you'll be on the next boat.

Old 23-05-07, 09:25 AM   #19
FG1

T L W enjoy Wallop. Are you taking a board ??
I've just returned from a long weekend buggying in Newquay with some top weather. Hope the wind is up for Wallop.
Old 23-05-07, 10:01 AM   #20
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
i was planning to go cowes - soton, up the 271 for a bit then through romsey and then 10 miles or so up the little road to middle wallop,
I love the back roads around there, i work about 5 miles away from middle Wallop and i used to live in Southampton, that was my route to work. I now live the other way and have to endure the A303 daily

Enjoy your trip.