SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-12-09, 03:50 PM   #11
El Saxo

Default Re: Virgin Media V+ Box (cable), any good ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
Just curious why ? We are moving in to our new house soon and have to make the choice. It's looking like being Virgin but the overall costs are pretty much the same (broadband, HD, 2 boxes, no sky sports/movies). I had heard the channels are slower to change on Virgin but I'm ok with that.
To be honest when I said that I was only referring to the TV boxes themselves - I've used a Sky+ box loads of times when round at friends' houses etc and I just prefer it in general.

For example, IIRC Sky has a function to set recordings via internet/mobile - it would be a godsend for all those times I've got to work and thought 'ah crap I didn't set the box to record the MotoGP' etc. Why the hell Virgin have never developed the same service I have no idea - the boxes are permanently connected to the internet so surely it's possible?

Looking at the whole package though, including broadband etc, you can't go far wrong with Virgin, their broadband is very fast and reliable in my experience. There are other pro's too like free ESPN and lots of on-demand stuff also included, it's just I rarely use them. One major plus is that if the box goes faulty, they come & replace it free, regardless how long you've had it - I don't think the same is true of Sky.

Last edited by El Saxo; 14-12-09 at 03:54 PM.
Old 15-12-09, 08:35 AM   #12
muffles

Ah, ok - yeah the internet/mobile thing is quite good, I have been told Virgin are bringing out a new box next year some time, maybe this will have it (it's supposed to allow networked boxes so you could record it downstairs and watch it upstairs). I think we'll probably go with Virgin, cheers for the input
Old 15-12-09, 09:27 AM   #13
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Quote:
Just curious why ? We are moving in to our new house soon and have to make the choice. It's looking like being Virgin but the overall costs are pretty much the same (broadband, HD, 2 boxes, no sky sports/movies). I had heard the channels are slower to change on Virgin but I'm ok with that.
Find someone that works for Virgin, and get them to put you forwards for the friends and family deal. £35 for large tv, 20meg broadband, phone line and free calls to all land lines. Can't complain at that!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-09, 01:20 PM   #14
El Saxo

Quote:
Ah, ok - yeah the internet/mobile thing is quite good, I have been told Virgin are bringing out a new box next year some time, maybe this will have it (it's supposed to allow networked boxes so you could record it downstairs and watch it upstairs). I think we'll probably go with Virgin, cheers for the input
I hadn't heard about that, I'll have a google for that, thanks!

Although saying that I plan to move out of here soon so I might not have cable/sky at all by the time any new box comes out
Old 16-12-09, 10:04 AM   #15
beabert

Quote:
one thing i will say though is that HD sound does not work threw the HDMI cable so you will have to get an optical cable too, then configure the box sound/vision menu to get it working right e.g. 'picture = HDMI' and 'sound = Optica
Normal sound works fine though, i a assume you mean enchanced sound.
Old 16-12-09, 12:28 PM   #16
Grinch

I had the new style Virgin HD box when I moved house earlier this year, it worked really well for a week, it was smaller and much faster. Then it crashed, and started doing very odd things, so Virgin replaced it with a original one. Thats been fine since.
The new one was part of a trial they where doing to random houses, it was a Samsung model box.
Old 16-12-09, 01:06 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beabert View Post
Normal sound works fine though, i a assume you mean enchanced sound.
yes i mean HD sound, BBC HD is great when they broadcast in dolby digital but its not that often.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-09, 01:56 PM   #18
Viney
Mega Poster

I had std TV, Phone adn 20Mb BB fitted yesterday. I have since realised that i may now need to run a cable form the router to my PC and not use wireless! That should be fun
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-09, 03:37 PM   #19
phil24_7
Mega Poster

I'm getting mine installed in the office, then connect the laptops via wireless, best of both worlds. How come you can't use the wireless successfully Viney?

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-09, 03:44 PM   #20
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
I had std TV, Phone adn 20Mb BB fitted yesterday.

We are lucky if we get 700kbs

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote