SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-05-08, 08:24 AM   #11
Frank

Default Re: Buying booze with kids in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
I had a similar situation in Sainsbury's a few months ago. Buying a couple of bottles of wine (with the rest of the shopping), and the checkout woman asked for I.D. Bit taken aback, as I haven't been I.D.'ed for years! Got my driving license out and she said "Not for you, for her" pointing at Samnooshka. Sam didn't have any I.D. on her, so the woman said " Sorry, I can't sell you alcohol, because I think she might be underage" I pointed out that Sam wasn't buying the drinks, I was. And would she do the same if I was with a 5 year old child" She looked a bit embarrassed and scanned the items through.

I haven't checked the laws recently, but I thought there wasn't anything actually illegal about under 18's drinking alcohol at home, under supervision, anyway?
or in a pub with a meal I believe
Old 16-05-08, 08:25 AM   #12
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
I had a similar situation in Sainsbury's a few months ago. Buying a couple of bottles of wine (with the rest of the shopping), and the checkout woman asked for I.D. Bit taken aback, as I haven't been I.D.'ed for years! Got my driving license out and she said "Not for you, for her" pointing at Samnooshka. Sam didn't have any I.D. on her, so the woman said " Sorry, I can't sell you alcohol, because I think she might be underage" I pointed out that Sam wasn't buying the drinks, I was. And would she do the same if I was with a 5 year old child" She looked a bit embarrassed and scanned the items through.

I haven't checked the laws recently, but I thought there wasn't anything actually illegal about under 18's drinking alcohol at home, under supervision, anyway?
As stated, Sainsburys has probably been hit with a few big fines and have put a notice out to their staff.

Its the backlash from the binge-drinking teen culture that has been allowed to flourish thanks to the lack of parenting.

As I previously said, they can quite legally ask you for ID, see it, then still refuse you - and they dont have to provide an explaination, its not a right that they must sell you anything from their shop.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-08, 09:01 AM   #13
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
There are also HEAVY penalties for any shop keeper that sells restricted items to those underage.
There are indeed and we always get reminded of them even in a shop like Matalan. DVDs and kitchen knives are the main problem. I once had a little boy come up to the till with a 15 DVD, obviously I had to ask where his parents were, turns out they were nearby and came to see but does that mean I shouldn't have sold it to them?

Video games too, some have age restrictions and my young brother plays on them once my dad has finished with them, yes it's my dad's responsibility and the lad is 14 now. But it proves the point that stopping someone from buying age-restricted products just because they are known to have children doesn't stop the children from using/even sneaking a drink when they get home. But then that goes without saying.

I'd ID if I wasn't sure but if the parent is there, then I assume all is ok. Alcohol is obviously more of a problem though, so this post probably has no relevance lol.
Old 16-05-08, 09:21 AM   #14
mrsgid

i get asked for i.d all the time and i am 29 its absolutly rediculous nowadays what us lot have to put up with it made me that angry that i threw my driving licence at the lady behind the counter then went in the next day and said what you not going to ask me for i.d again then
Old 16-05-08, 09:23 AM   #15
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgid View Post
i get asked for i.d all the time and i am 29 its absolutly rediculous nowadays what us lot have to put up with it made me that angry that i threw my driving licence at the lady behind the counter then went in the next day and said what you not going to ask me for i.d again then
some people would see that as a compliment (the being asked for ID that is, not having a licence thrown at them )
Old 16-05-08, 09:26 AM   #16
mrsgid

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
some people would see that as a compliment (the being asked for ID that is, not having a licence thrown at them )
i know but i was stressed that day and i found it insulting usally i would laugh about it
Old 16-05-08, 09:31 AM   #17
mrsgid

Quote:
are you going on this ride missyorkie chris.
Old 16-05-08, 09:31 AM   #18
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgid View Post
are you going on this ride missyorkie chris.
Ill see you in the megathread
Old 16-05-08, 09:35 AM   #19
Gazza77

Quote:
I was asked for ID about 18 months ago (when I was 29) when in B&Q buying paint stripper. Do many solvent abusers buy there solvents with a paint brush, dressed in paint covered clothes I wonder? I was actually quite rude as I thought that the shop assistant (a middle aged woman) was taking the ****, but then realised she was being serious......

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-08, 09:39 AM   #20
Luckypants
Mega Poster

B&Q employ drones.... she was probably told to ask everyone buying solvents for id, so she does - no room for initiative at B&Q.

My lad got turned down for a job there cos the psychometric test showed he would think for himself, the rejection letter even said he was 'too independant to fit into the B&Q ethos' (or some such ********).

But has has been said previously, would you risk being fined for £6 an hour? I'd be well flattered to asked for id these days.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote