SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-03-05, 01:37 PM   #11
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_SV
I was thinking of dropping a tooth off the front and leaving the rear standard, as it will have more of an effect.
You can do this of course but it will most likely shorten your chain life as you're making the chain go round a smaller circumference on the front sprocket putting greater strain on the chain at that point. By changing the rear sprocket the opposite applies. It's also easier to fit a rear - saying that, changing both sprockets and chain at the same time is advisable.

Do note that by changing the rear you'll probably need a longer chain (110 links as opposed to the standard S's 10.

Old 08-03-05, 05:46 PM   #12
Dan_SV

Yea, I was aware of the increased wear factor, but to be honest its not a major concern. Lets face it, with regular (daily) lubing, the SV doesn't exactly eat chains.

Could be tempted by the 14/46 option, although I think I shall bide my time, and listen to some more advice before I decide on what to do.

So come on down folks, what has everyone got.

Dan
Old 13-03-05, 07:37 PM   #13
Wilky_Boy

Okay. Thanks for the great response. So, if I was to buy a Renthal 46 do I buy a standard front and replace the chain all at the same time. Do need to buy a different chain now that I am changing the rear sprocket ? Is this a job I can do myself - I am a novice DIY bodger !
Old 13-03-05, 07:49 PM   #14
jonboy

Yes get the standard front (15) and get a 46 rear and replace the chain (110 links for this mod is sensible).

Old 14-03-05, 08:26 AM   #15
bobbydee

Hi guys, so if you replace the rear on an "S" K3 model to a 46 Renthal, then you have to replace the chain? to a 110 link? You deff cant use the stock chain I take it?
Old 14-03-05, 09:08 AM   #16
jonboy

It's not that you can't use it it's just that it will be stretched to almost maxumum leaving little or no room for adjustment - and if your chain's worn anyway then one, you probably can't adjust it correctly and two, you might as well get a new chain.

I learnt the hard way: always change your chain and sprockets together.