SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-08, 09:36 PM   #11
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph Daytona 675 owners -a question.

I dunno, not sure I like the idea of a slipper clutch, what's the point of engine braking in that case? Save on brake pads by burning clutches!
Old 18-05-08, 09:56 PM   #12
ThEGr33k

TBH they are probably most useful on bigger twins. I know ive had mine working quite a lot but then the Engine braking at high revs on my bike is MENTAL! If the 675 hasnt got much engine braking then I can imagine it being hard to lock the wheel up even with aggressive down shifts.... but what do I know?
Old 18-05-08, 10:20 PM   #13
Ed

Coming from a IL4 - a D650 - the engine braking most definitely is there, it was quite a shock at first as the 650 had none - that bike was Newton's first law to a T, close the throttle and nothing happened. If I'm feeling lazy, I don't have to use the brakes that much on this bike. But when I do - my they are good.
Old 18-05-08, 11:34 PM   #14
DanAbnormal

When I did the Nurburgring I really could have done with a slipper clutch, was sliding into corners in the wet. Didn't bin it though so I guess I got used to it.
Old 19-05-08, 04:51 AM   #15
lukemillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
To all you 675 Daytona owners, how do you find the engine braking?

Going to be in the market for my next bike in a few months time, and before trying a few out I thought I'd ask the odd random question. So is the 675's engine braking a lot less or more than the SV?

And Luke Millar, how does it compare to an IL4 (R6)?

Just curious, as thinking about 600SS, 675, 749 Ducati, 750 GSXR and the RSV (although that may be a bit too much for me...).

Just trying to whittle down dreams.
I have to say, that these days, I pretty much only ride on the track, so my opinions on these bikes is based around track riding rather than road riding.

I would like a slipper clutch on the 675 to be honest. While I can blip the throttle and change, on 1st gear corners, I often had the rear hopping into the corner, through hurried changes. Obviously all bikes have engine braking and saying one has a little more than another is a little subjective as it really depends on how you ride it and from what gear/rev you are going to/from. Obviously there is less than the SV, but it hasn't ever really bothered me - Twin > IL4 > triple etc.

As for comparison to the R6, I wrote this after my last trackday:

http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...96&postcount=1

Have also ridden a GSXR-600 on the track - Didn't really like it compared to either the R6 and 675, but then being a knackered hire track bike on old tyres probably didn't help!

Just got my 675 back from the suspension tuners with a lovely Ohlins rear shock and re-valved forks. I haven't tried the setup out on the track, but feels lovely so far - stock suspension is very firm. That and some new rubber and I think the 675 is going to become my new favourite!
Old 19-05-08, 08:58 AM   #16
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'd say not as much as the SV, but still there and useable.

Please take this as a hefty pinch of salt as I only had a quick blat nearly a year ago.

That's quite a shame about the 955, I quite like the speed triples...
The 1050 Speed Triple has awesome engine braking. I don't remember the SV having as much, but I haven't ridden an SV for some time now.
Old 19-05-08, 09:05 AM   #17
Ceri JC

Only ridden the street triple (largely similair engine). V. little engine braking.
Old 19-05-08, 11:18 AM   #18
Paws

i agree with hard rear shock, i think treacle finds it hilarious watching me being bounced around on it when i hit a bump!, and id agree with slipper clutch-would be a nice addition!
Old 19-05-08, 12:42 PM   #19
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

I haven't got a triple, but I do have an IL4 and there is plenty of engine braking on that. If you downshift at 4k rpm you can't really feel too much but if you change down higher in the rev range, I can ussure you that there is enough. I have had the back wheel dancing around on downshifts as the wheel back drives the engine.

My 2 stroke RS125 on the other hand.....!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-08, 05:45 PM   #20
Tim in Belgium

Cheers for all the responses, Luke, did you mean V2>triple>IL4 for engine braking on 600(ish) bikes?