SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-07-08, 12:18 PM   #11
sarah

Default Re: local government workers strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Yup.
Get them to do something about it then.
Old 16-07-08, 12:19 PM   #12
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
If there is nothing in the pot how can they do something about it?

Problems are folks, pots are getting emptier.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-08, 12:19 PM   #13
G
Mega Poster

If your not happy get a new job, then they have to increase the wage to attract new people.........but Oh that right they actually dont because theres plenty of people willing to jump into council works, because its well known how flexible and good to work for councils are.....you cant have everything.

Thanks

G

(23% Payrise and 15% bonus lol)
Old 16-07-08, 12:19 PM   #14
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Did you not read my post?

The company I work for is doing some hefty surgery on itself to prevent them loosing £400,000 per month!! I don't see how there's a legitimate way they could pay anyone more money at the moment.
Old 16-07-08, 12:23 PM   #15
Ed

I work (self-employed basis) 1 day a week for Liverpool City Council so I know a little about this. They have just completed a stock transfer (of former LCC housing to a housing association) and the work involved was enormous - they worked in some cases 12+ hour days for nothing extra, and it's understandable that they feel that it's one way traffic. It's not as if the pay scales are that generous. The offer is derisory - inflation at 3.8% - it's way below - there is only so much that you can squeeze.
Old 16-07-08, 12:24 PM   #16
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Did you not read my post?

The company I work for is doing some hefty surgery on itself to prevent them loosing £400,000 per month!! I don't see how there's a legitimate way they could pay anyone more money at the moment.
Yes I did. Sounds like tough **** then

Public sector jobs are slightly different to this though. In private industry people benefit financially when times are good and get crapped on when times are tough. In the public sector people get crapped on whatever the economy is doing.
Old 16-07-08, 12:24 PM   #17
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
im in GMB thus not on strike
Likewise.

Here in Cardiff, the local Unison Branch reps told porkies at a meeting on Monday when they told their membership that GMB hadn't been ballotted over strike action when we had.

Quote:
i belive unison are after 6% whereas GMB took the 2.45
6% is completely unrealistic in the current economic climate, with workers in the private sector either having no increase at all or, worse still, being laid off. Other unions can see this, so why not Unison?

It's 2.45 for most workers. The very low paid are being offered 3.3%. These figures aren't a million miles from the inflation rate at the time that the pay negotiations started and that was before the "credit crunch" started to bite and before the word "recession" was being used.

Quote:
which is ****
What is totally **** is that they would need 6% to recoup the losses being made by going on strike.

It's like turkeys voting for Christmas and being egged on by headless chickens.

Last edited by Jabba; 16-07-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 16-07-08, 12:27 PM   #18
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I work (self-employed basis) 1 day a week for Liverpool City Council so I know a little about this. They have just completed a stock transfer (of former LCC housing to a housing association) and the work involved was enormous - they worked in some cases 12+ hour days for nothing extra, and it's understandable that they feel that it's one way traffic. It's not as if the pay scales are that generous. The offer is derisory - inflation at 3.8% - it's way below - there is only so much that you can squeeze.
Alot of people work long days for no extra money when they are only contracted to 7.5hrs a day, and alot of people dont get payrises at all. Hell alot of people are even loosing their jobs in this current climate, so they should quit moaning

Every person I know who works for local councils work flexi time, if they do 12hrs one day, they can claim it back another day anyway.
Old 16-07-08, 12:28 PM   #19
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post

It's 2.45 for most workers. The very low paid are being offered 3.3%. .
whats classed as very low paid?
Old 16-07-08, 12:30 PM   #20
neio79

Join the Army, the Government feels so guilty about sending us to kill rag heads for their oil they have given us som cracking pay rises in the last few years!! and some good tax free bonuses for while we are on tour as well!! happy days!!