SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-02-09, 12:23 AM   #11
Jester666

Default Re: What to do in the event of an off

Back on topic.

The main thing is to get away from the bike. Once you realise that is all gone to poo, push hard with your feet to get away from it and avoid getting tangled up as everything goes 'sky, ground, sky, ground etc'.
Old 25-02-09, 12:30 AM   #12
missyburd

I would think there's really not much time to think AND act, has anyone actually thought "Oh crap I'm coming off, quick into the position! " Just doesn't seem realistic to me. The whole relaxation thing clearly makes sense but how easy is it to actually do that when in that situation? Or is it more, dare I say it, a practice thing?!

Those of you who have come off, do you find that any previous experience of falling off mountain bikes (as LP has) or trials bikes sort of "sets you up" for an off?
Old 25-02-09, 12:36 AM   #13
ThEGr33k

Stay relaxed is the best thing to do to be honest... The off I had was pretty quick 40mph, but I was relatively fine because I was relaxed, and hit nothing. Luck really.

As to how easy, really easy... just think "ok im coming off, don't panic Capitan Manering!"

Last edited by ThEGr33k; 25-02-09 at 12:38 AM.
Old 25-02-09, 12:37 AM   #14
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
I would think there's really not much time to think AND act, has anyone actually thought "Oh crap I'm coming off, quick into the position! " Just doesn't seem realistic to me. The whole relaxation thing clearly makes sense but how easy is it to actually do that when in that situation? Or is it more, dare I say it, a practice thing?!

Those of you who have come off, do you find that any previous experience of falling off mountain bikes (as LP has) or trials bikes sort of "sets you up" for an off?
I used to ride mountain bikes, then BMX's, then field/trials bikes (including road legal bikes off road), and I've fallen off more times than I care to remember, including setting myself on fire more than once (Jester's advice about pushing away from the bike should be adhered to!).

If that's helped me or not, I don't know.

Specifically talking about my last off, roughly 60mph on a B-road, I remember consciously thinking "OK, I haven't scrubbed enough speed for this corner, if I throw it on the floor it'll damage less than hitting that dry stone wall." I kid you not that was my thought, within maybe 20-25m of entering the corner.

Once I'd decided to throw the bike on the floor, the next thing I remember is arriving at the bike on my feet.

I've had the experience countless times where time itself seems to slow down. You can't react any quicker, but thought's come through at frantic speed.
Old 25-02-09, 12:39 AM   #15
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
The off I had was pretty quick 40mph, but I was relatively fine because I was relaxed, and hit nothing. Luck really.
Luck, yes am inclined to agree with that. YC came off at about that speed (possibly a bit slower, my memory fails me these days ) and smashed his wrist bones just cos of the way he landed
Old 25-02-09, 12:42 AM   #16
Smoggy

I've had a few little offs.

Just go with it, loosely slide down the road with, it if you're doing some speed.
When I low slided at about 30 on my 125 I just let go and the bike was sliding in a shower sparks faster than I was bouncing.
The two low speed ones I've had I just thought ******** to saving this and literally jumped off it and landed fine, in one case on the SV still standing follewed by half arsedly managing to catch the bike falling.. Witnessed by a member aswell.

Buy crash bungs.
Old 25-02-09, 12:44 AM   #17
pawl

many, many moons ago, RD125LC, 50-55, car pulls out, i swerve and catapult through the not knowingness, thought F00000h0000k, i rolled like a ball, road rash (not to noticeable now), no breaks.
was wearing trainers, trackyz, shell top. was exteremly stupid. thought i looked the biz! that was my clothing lesson ya could say?
was more scared of a rollockin of my mum at time and so thought i could hide the fact i was injured! was 18 i think.
i couldnt get out of bed the morning after, 3 days in bed! i was so sore, and i think what made it far worse was mentaly going over what had happened, shock kicked in i think, well i know! situation at time, if i had a 'sprawled' i most probably be still having shelltop and trainers surgically removed! i chose to roll knowing that where i was heading there was no obstacles. split second. knowing the road helps.
i have explianed 'ditching' and 'if this or that happens' to my unfortunate other! 'Me'Shell, who has never been on a bike before, well until august last year (when i got 'Silver') and loves it, pillion. we were recently looking at different atricles concerning heart rendering stories. i think LUCK is the biggest key.

Optimist!
Old 25-02-09, 12:49 AM   #18
Jester666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
...including setting myself on fire more than once (Jester's advice about pushing away from the bike should be adhered to!).
Explain!!
Old 25-02-09, 12:51 AM   #19
Jester666

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Several years as a courier in London taught me how to fall off!

Get away from the bike and then try and relax!?!
Old 25-02-09, 12:54 AM   #20
pawl

SETS YOU UP !!!
he he
try judo
sorry !