SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-04-09, 09:48 AM   #11
Magnum

Default Re: She's alive!!!

Old 03-04-09, 10:04 AM   #12
Sosha

Jammy or what!
Old 03-04-09, 10:41 AM   #13
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Well, she escaped early last year and we found her ten days later in a drawer in the same room as her viv.

I'm not the worlds biggest fan of snakes and I didn't choose to go out and get her. I looked after one for a friend that went travelling a few years back and the repitle store that gave me advice when I needed it got in touch in 2007 to see if I'd adopt one of the baby corns as they had too many and rather them go to good homes than sell them cheaply to anyone.

She's lovely as snakes go and it's fascinating to watch her. She's just a snake going about her business. I'm glad it was Sam that found her though, I wouldn't have blamed anyone for freaking out as I know not everyone likes snakes.

For anyone that doesn't know much about them though, a Corn Snake is the most common of all reptiles in captivity and the only time you are likely to get bitten is by a baby that confuses your finger for a pinkie mouse. It's never happened to me and even it they do bite, they can hardly even break the skin as babies.
Old 03-04-09, 10:48 AM   #14
Magnum

What other reps have you got GG?
Old 03-04-09, 10:49 AM   #15
Miss Alpinestarhero

Wow thats amazing. Good job she didn't stray far How long have you had it?

Id be too scared to have a snake, but I do have two tortoises which are very cute and came out of hibernation last month.

DanAbnormal - if that story is true then bloody hell

Soulkiss - Ergh!! *runs*

Maria
Old 03-04-09, 10:53 AM   #16
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
That's one sneaky snake. My wife told me a story about a snake that one of her tenants once had, not sure how true it is but still...............

So, this lady, we'll call her Marge, had a snake called Jim. Every night Jim would escape his tank (sneaky snake see) and come and lay on the bed with Marge. She thought this was lovely as she was on her own and it felt like Jim really loved his owner. However, then Jim stopped eating and this went on for about 3 weeks. He still came out of his tank each and every night to lay next to Marge though and she had heard that snakes could go long periods without eating so she relaxed a bit. 5 weeks later and Jim was still not eating so she took him to her vet. Upon telling the vet what Jim was doing, he immediately told her to get rid of the snake. Taken back by such a dramatic response she asked the vet why on earth she would get rid of her beloved Jim. He explained that Jim has been laying next to her every night as he is measuring himself against her and starving himself as he is planning on eating her..............

I hope you have a tiny small snakehe mightust take a toe!
I've heard of this actually happening as well. Usually in tribal communities where they don't agree with keeping snakes shut away. The snake stops eating, noone takes any notice and thinks it's cute that the snake takes a liking to a child in the community. Next thing you know, that child is either lucky enough to be heard and saved before completely constricted or end up dead.

I wouldn't keep anything larger than a Corn snake. I love her to bits, but when she's gone I won't be getting any more.
Old 03-04-09, 10:55 AM   #17
Sosha

Bet she had fun exploring the place before finding a nice warm sock drawer.
Old 03-04-09, 10:57 AM   #18
Magnum

I found my corn in a draw full of books once, and the royal was behind the freezer.
Old 03-04-09, 11:00 AM   #19
Graciepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
For anyone that doesn't know much about them though, a Corn Snake is the most common of all reptiles in captivity and the only time you are likely to get bitten is by a baby that confuses your finger for a pinkie mouse. It's never happened to me and even it they do bite, they can hardly even break the skin as babies.
i love corn snakes! my ex had one and it was brilliant. used to try and eat my hair though
Old 03-04-09, 11:01 AM   #20
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
What other reps have you got GG?
Just Carla. I am fascinated by snakes and reptiles and so on, but have never really wanted one. Then a few years back I agreed to look after a Corn for a friend as mentioned in a previous post and ended up adopting Carla in 2007.

I do love her to bits, but I think i'll just stick to the one. I love getting her food and looking at all the other snakes and reptiles, but I wouldn't want to have any of them.

So, you have a Royal Python? They are beautiful. I think most gekos are cute and the little bearded dragons would be funny to have, but I'll stick to Carla and just look at everyone elses reptiles...lol.

The one great thing about having her is that my mum who would previously freeze with fear at the sight of a snake (even on tv) will now happily sit on the sofa while I have her out and she has been able to see them as just another creature sharing the planet and that they aren't actually that scary or horrible. My niece who is 6 has been taught by her other nan that snakes are nasty and dangerous and can kill you. A little extreme I think. My sister wanted her to meet Carla and see for herself that snakes are beautiful creatures and just have to be treated with respect. My niece loves her and has totally changed her opinion of snakes. She knows that there are snakes that can kill you and by meeting Carla, she has been interested enough to learn what to do if you see one.

I think that's better than growing up with a fear of something that you know nothing about.