SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-06-10, 08:36 PM   #11
barwel1992

Default Re: Fitting a Scorpion Street Extreme, Pictorial!

yours wont have a cat is K7+ that have the cat and lambda sensor
Old 18-06-10, 10:29 PM   #12
Weirdfish

Taking out the cat isn't a neccessity then? Besides what happens if you want to return the bike to normal and the next owner wants the cat in? I reckon if it doesn't hurt then leave it alone, I also think that any mods you do should be reversable. You'd be suprised what a difference to the re-sale value it can be make to have a standard bike, lots of people would rather buy a bike as standard and then carry out there own mods and dealers will give you more for a standard bike on a part ex. Only my opinion of course but not without some grounding.
Old 18-06-10, 10:51 PM   #13
barwel1992

theyd never know it was there unless you told them, its not the sort of thing people go looking for/or want for that matter

but its up to you
Old 18-06-10, 10:57 PM   #14
hongman

Loosely related question.

Is there anywhere you can go to check the sound of X can? Looks is easy to pick, but if I really want to pick a can based on sound, what does one do? Are there such places where one can go to hear, first hand?

Youtube is all good but prolly doesnt do any can the justice.
Old 18-06-10, 10:58 PM   #15
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Surely the lambda sensor is configured to work with the cat in, so taking the cat out might cause some issues?
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-10, 11:00 PM   #16
barwel1992

the lambda sensor adjusts the air and fuel mixture dependant on exhaust gasses (i think no 100%) and the sensor is before the cat so i dont see what effect it could have
Old 18-06-10, 11:22 PM   #17
Weirdfish

No where to go as far as I know to hear them, but in the end I went on looks because they are all much of a muchness in the sound department because the people that make them know that we want a pipe that sounds good, some smaller manufacturers have their own workshops that you may be able to visit and you can hear them on line on their web sites, e.g. Beowulf I think. I chose mine for looks and because lots of people on here said the street extreme sounded good on an SV and they weren't wrong! I too am considering putting the baffle back in, cos the noise is beginning to grate, lol!
Old 18-06-10, 11:27 PM   #18
hongman

Thanks for that
Old 19-06-10, 12:42 AM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
Surely the lambda sensor is configured to work with the cat in, so taking the cat out might cause some issues?
no issues. it does not need a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
the lambda sensor adjusts the air and fuel mixture dependant on exhaust gasses (i think no 100%) and the sensor is before the cat so i dont see what effect it could have
correct'ish. i dont think the SV has 'on the fly' adjustment like some of the more modern cars. i think its predetermined by the CDI at a given state.

you can remove the lambda by inserting a 'dummy' but its better to leave it in as you gain more fuel economy. if you dont put a dummy load in then you will get an FI fault light (think the code is C41 if i remember)

also i suggested removing the lambda for cutting the old can off or hacking the cat out as it can damage the probe as they are relitivly fragile things (and very expensive around £200). once done you can install the probe again.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-10, 12:44 AM   #20
Bibio
Mega Poster

ooohhhh BTW your bike is gorgeous. and its almost how i would have had mine if i was able to get a new one

your bike is a credit to you.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote