SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-12, 06:39 PM   #11
TCochrane

Default Re: 'FI' error message on dashboard

It hasn't happened since and its been running perfectly since so I'm thinking that it may just be a one off dodgy connection of some sort. Will post more details if the same problem occurs again.

Many thanks for your advice everyone
Old 17-12-12, 07:12 PM   #12
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Do you have an alarm fitted? i had a major prob with the FI light when everything died going down a motorway. The power lead to my alarm shorted which blew the FI fuse, after replacing that the FI light was still on because the alarm had down some weird reset. Eventually got the alarm to go back to normal and the FI light was off and bike worked again. So if you have an alarm it may have tripped into some funny mode or something. Hope it doesnt happen again but if, that could be it. Cheers
PyroUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-12, 07:15 PM   #13
TCochrane

PyroUK - thanks for the tip but I don't have an alarm fitted
Old 17-12-12, 08:52 PM   #14
SV_archie99

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop View Post
MY FI error was the O2 sensor (so my dealer said)
^ This is what happened on mine when I collected my bike from the dealer.
The O2 sensor in the exhaust had gone.
Dealer said is was probably because the bike had been sitting for sale for a good few months and a number of test rides could have caused some corrosion due to the partial heating and then cooling cycles.

Don't know if he was just giving me a load of BS as I was not best pleased having travelled 50 miles to collect my new (although 2nd hand) bike.

Touch wood it's been OK since they replaced the unit.
Old 17-12-12, 10:22 PM   #15
phil24_7
Mega Poster

This doesn't cause the bike to not turn over though does it? The FI light can mean many things and you can get a code off the bike when it does it by using a dealer tool (wire jump).

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-12, 12:18 AM   #16
sputnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCochrane View Post
It hasn't happened since and its been running perfectly since so I'm thinking that it may just be a one off dodgy connection of some sort. Will post more details if the same problem occurs again.

Many thanks for your advice everyone

Mine (09 Pointy) intermittently has FI issues.

Generally, when it happens I put the key in, turn and the usual buzzing is broken i.e stuttered or sometimes barely buzzing at all, followed by FI message. It almost always keeps doing it if I just turn the ignition back to the start and try again, but almost almost always sorts itself if I actually take the key out and then put it back in and then turn.

It doesn't seem to follow any real pattern. It might do it several times in the course of a week but the then disappear for months. As it always goes away I have never worried too much... yet.