SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-02-06, 08:24 AM   #11
alex.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveboy
Hello mate. I'll have to keep an eye out for you. I live in Whitley and travel down the A19 to work. Look out for a Yellow SV650s (two yellow SV's in Whitley ohhh suits you)

As for keeping it clean its impossible just give it a rub down once a week and oil the chain. If you get any major problem give me a shout then we can both point at it and scratch our heads
heh, coincidence eh?

I travel from Whitley Bay to Doxford Park in Sunderland. I've not seen you yet but I'll keep my eyes open! I might have to take you up on the pointing and head scratching as I really haven't got a clue . . .

cheers,

Al
Old 07-02-06, 08:31 AM   #12
Diveboy

Yeah I'm doing daft hours at the moment normally leave about 6:30am and come back around 7pm.

I sometimes go to the doxford park turning as my parents live in Houghton
Old 07-02-06, 08:37 AM   #13
alex.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveboy
Yeah I'm doing daft hours at the moment normally leave about 6:30am and come back around 7pm.

I sometimes go to the doxford park turning as my parents live in Houghton

I do all sorts of crazy hours as I do tech support at a call centre in Doxford Park.
Old 07-02-06, 01:42 PM   #14
copper kettle

T-Mobile???
Old 07-02-06, 02:35 PM   #15
northwind
Mega Poster

I keep mine absolutely festering, but it's in good nick underneath. Just cleaning it's no use, because the second you go on the road again you get new filth on clean metal. That can be even worse than leaving it filthy (if it's an electrolytic effect, salt on ferrous metal, then old salt is less bad than new salt, for example)

So, I clean it, cover it thoroughly with ACF-50, which is an aviation corrosion inhibitor that you can buy by bottles or aerosols. Some bike shops sell it now, so do M&P, Polishing Shop, and it's often on Ebay. The aerosols are better than the bottles IMO, easier to use, more expensive though. Once you get a good coating of that, it doesn't much matter what lands on top of it.

Stainless bolts help too.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-06, 04:33 PM   #16
PoRk ChOp

This is my second winter on the SV now and it still looks great. Just make sure you give it a really good clean at least once a week.

I use Scottoiler FS365 spray on mine after every ride! Forks, radiator, oil cooler engine, everywhere gets covered in the stuff. By the end of the week the bike looks minging and all furred up, hose the majority of the crap off and then give it a good wash and bobs ya uncle.

Thats all you need to do for winter riding.
Old 07-02-06, 06:30 PM   #17
alex.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper kettle
T-Mobile???
yeah, that's the one
Old 07-02-06, 06:32 PM   #18
alex.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoRk ChOp
This is my second winter on the SV now and it still looks great. Just make sure you give it a really good clean at least once a week.

I use Scottoiler FS365 spray on mine after every ride! Forks, radiator, oil cooler engine, everywhere gets covered in the stuff. By the end of the week the bike looks minging and all furred up, hose the majority of the crap off and then give it a good wash and bobs ya uncle.

Thats all you need to do for winter riding.
that's all very good but I don't get home till 10:45 some nights and have no energy. It's my own fault for working shifts i suppose!
Old 07-02-06, 07:07 PM   #19
rob13

i work in the City centre so i actually drive up Ryhope road, however i do venture up North when im trekking up Hexham way.
Old 07-02-06, 08:22 PM   #20
mynameis

ACF-50 is brilliant one good coating last for ages, it even works on any existing rust bits, and unlike the Scottoiler FS365 does n't get washed off.